1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Laptop w/Windows 7 Freezes after user login...Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Summerbear5, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Summerbear5

Summerbear5 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, thank you ahead of time for reading and hope to get some help soon. I just bought a new computer recently. Samsung R580. I don't know all the specs off hand but if you need any information...let me know what you need. It's windows 7 64bit, i5 intel core, nvidia 512mb graphics card.

I've been having problems after I boot up the computer, it goes to the welcome screen where I can login. I insert my password and it seems to take a bit to show the desktop...then when the desktop pops up it takes awhile to completely boot up. Once it seems to be completely booted I attempt to click an icon or use the start menu and the whole computer will freeze. Sometimes bad enough I have to forcibly shut the computer down. Sometimes I can just logout and log back on and it will be fine.

I got into a tech support chat room which they suggested I run error-checking tool on startup. I ran it three time the first two times it found and deleted things, the last time finding nothing wrong. Still I was having the problem...The problem seems to happen randomly...I do not know how to re-create it and I've searched all of google to find a solution, no luck! I have also attempted a system restore and STILL the problem exist. It's very random but still happening about once a week. Today it got the worst...even after logging off and back on it was still freezing...the icons on the desktop looked like blank paper icons and same in the start menu...had to restart comp 2 times...

Further more...Because the computer is so new I took it back to the store where I purchased a 2 year warranty...at first they had no problem fixing it...then they came back and told me because the computer is less than a year old they have no tech support how to's in their database and instead wanted to replace the computer with a different model and brand because this model is no longer available...I declined for there is no other computer within the same price range with the same specs...

My computer is fully updated via windows update. At first I had downloaded a graphics driver update separately from the nvidia website but when I did a system restore I decided to only download the updates via windows update thinking maybe the graphics driver was conflicting somewhere but still problem exist. I also have AVG Free installed (never had a problem with this antivirus because, even have it working fine on desktop with windows vista)...I ran SAS a couple times...I have CCleaner and ran the defrag and disk cleanup even though they computer is still really new and has hardly anything on it.

A couple suggestions I got from the tech support chat room that I also want to look over is...they said to complete disable the startup files (msconfig) ...some items in there I'm not sure of like the AVG, the touchpad...etc. etc.
    The second suggestion was to switch from a wireless mouse to a wired mouse...to me that just sounds silly...why would using a wireless mouse mess up a computer so badly? Also I remember there was a time it was acting up when I was using the touchpad.

So conclusion (sorry the post is so long) 1. Is there anyway to figure out what is causing my problem? or what steps can I take to fix the problem? 2. The error-checking I ran that found and deleted stuff...is my HD ok? has it been corrupted? Do I have to worry about it going bad eventually or going out? 3. if I completely disable all the startup files will I have errors or problems when starting my computer if it needs a specific files that I have disabled?

If I cannot get this fixed on my own I still have the manufacture warranty...just not looking forward to having to mail it out and wait for repairs or possibly be given a different model...Again thank you for reading and I hope to get this problem fixed soon!

Summer

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

If it was me I'd phone the manufacturer and get their help, or get them to do a doorstep exchange (the faulty one for a tested new one).
    Also, demand a full refund of that extended 2 year Warranty that the shop is unable to honour.

I think it important for you to do nothing to give the manufacturer any excuse to duck their responsibilities to provide a working product that's fit for purpose.

Sorry - rant over.

Richard

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The whole point of extended warranties is profitability; they are the highest margin "product" sold in many stores. Actually fixing or replacing anything is strictly random and accidental. Wait, am I ranting too? :)

If you used CCleaner to wreck your registry all bets are off. Otherwise, you may just have a problem with one or more drivers. Try Safe Mode. If that's OK I'm guessing a driver; if the same problem I'm guessing memory or hard drive or motherboard defect.

4. Irukku

Irukku

You can also check your Windows Event Viewer (start-run-eventvwr) for further details on a crash. Under windows logs, there should be a custom view named "Administrative" or something, which shows errors and warnings. If not, look under "system" for any errors. :)

5. Summerbear5

For the action center (which I'm assuming this is what you are talking about) it says and always said...no current issues detected.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

It could be so many things. I would run memtest86 to check the ram. It could be video card, if it has a fan, make sure it is running. It could be the power supply as few mfgrs put adequate ones in.
    I have had issues where Avg 2011 can cause that why not uninstall that and see if it stops.

7. Summerbear5

I have uninstalled AVG and installed Avast...Is Avast a good antivirus? So far no problems but since it's random...only time will tell..

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Personally I'd rather see you use Avira but let's hold off and see if that does it.

9. Summerbear5

So far so good...still hesitant and crossing fingers that it was AVG...Will know in a couple weeks if infact the problem has been fixed for good.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's surprising but I have seen that on many XP pc's and a few newer versions of Windows as well.

11. Summerbear5

Today started up the computer. Said starting windows for longer than usual...then went to blue screen and the computer restarted itself and then asked if I wanted to start windows normally or run startup wizard thing...I just said normally because the startup wizard thing never worked for me in the past. Windows started up fine and haven't had a problem since. Any ideas?

12. Summerbear5

Haven't heard anything since last post of the blue screen (it only happened once so far)...was just wondering if anyone had a clue if it was a fluke or if I should contact the company regarding getting the computer serviced...

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is possible that last BSOD was a fluke and had nothing to do with the previous problems.

It is also possible that you have an intermittent hardware fault (in any of those components Rich or I mentioned).

Unless you are nearing the end of the warranty period and need to get this problem on record it is premature to have anybody else look at it. The problem may not occur or occur only once and they will conclude there is no problem.

You would be well advised, I think, to run some diagnostics yourself. Your BIOS may include some. Rich already mentioned Memtest86+ to test the RAM. Run chkdsk. You can also probably get good diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer.

14. Iceblade7

Iceblade7

By the way Avast is a VERY good virus program, been using it for years now and have never had an issue with it. Ive even gone as far as getting the Pro version which is rare for me when a program is free.

15. Summerbear5

Iceblade7 since you are an Avast user I have a question for you. I have it all installed now on multiple computers. I know on my windows vista machine as soon as I installed it, updated it, and restarted the computer my caps/num/scroll lock icons were missing from the systray...I happen to like them there. I decided to temporarly disable Avast and restart the computer. The icons came back. I then activated Avast and restarted the computer again at which the icons were missing again. I made a post on the Avast website and someone replied saying it wasn't Avast doing it. But I have never had a problem before until now with the icons and disabling Avast as this point is the only solution to getting them back on and working properly.

Any Suggestions?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice