1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Laptop with W8 and old XP laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by rallyben, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been on here, but I figure I can find the right information here.

Anyways, here's the deal: My dad just bought a new laptop with Windows 8. He has his older laptop that is running Windows XP. The old laptop has a few legacy applications that I don't have the install files/disks to install them on the new computer, plus I'm almost positive they're not compatible with Windows 8. Two of those specific programs are CabinetVision Solid v3.3 and Canvas 11. I'd like to have him running on just the new computer, and I've already used the easy file transfer tool to transfer most of his stuff. I was wondering if it's possible for me to resize his W8 partition to add another partition that I can just ghost the original WXP and set up a dual boot. Either that, or would it be better to run some sort of Virtual Machine enviornment and just copy over all the program files? Is what I'm asking to do possible without going too crazy? Thanks for the help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the XP is OEM (pre-installed on the old PC) it is "locked" to that PC.

If it is a retail version it can be transferred to another computer. However, installing it on another computer or virtual machine wouldn't solve the problem of the lost program installation files/disks.

3. raybro

raybro

Hi rallyben :)

Off the subject of your post, but having done exactly the same thing myself recently (got a Dell laptop with Win 8, old laptop is XP Home), thought I'd share the following with you.

The single most common complaint with Win 8 (and I agree) was the tile type start menu commonly used with mobile devices, but a pain on a PC. So I looked for and found this alternative. I've attached a couple of screenshots for your convenience. You can adjust settings so Windows boots directly into the desktop. The download is free and it allows you to disable the corner hot spots should you desire to do so. You can always get the tile start menu by holding down the Windows key and hitting "C".

Attached Files:

4. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

TerryNet:
    Alright, I was kinda thinking that was the case with doing an XP install.. I have had mostly good luck installing some of the older software he has on the new laptop, but there is one that I don't know how to get around it. It's an old version of CabinetVision Solid that requires an XP or older OS to install. I guess my question is now, is there an XP mode for W8 that doesn't require the Pro version. The new laptop was only loaded with the home version, and all my other laptops in the house don't have Pro either. Should I just keep myself from the pain and hassle and just go with a KVM so he can run the old software? thanks for the help!

Raybro:
    Thanks for the link, I'll see if he's interested in doing something like that. I've been using W8 for just 1 day so far, and I don't like how non-intuitive it is just to find things like the control panel. That looks like it might help him be more familiar with it though.

5. raybro

raybro

'non-intuitive" Well said...:D

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For Control Panel in Windows 8 I find the easiest way is through the Quick Access menu. Use <Windows Logo> + x or in the lower left corner when your mouse pointer gets the Start tile/icon to appear right click to get the Quick aXcess Menu.

With Windows 7 (seven) Pro or Ultimate you could get a free XP to use with the XP Mode. Any other installation of XP that I know of (Windows 8 Pro Hyper whatever, dual boot, virtual machine) requires a legal genuine XP (assuming you are not interested in piracy).

KVM is one solution; I have my computers connected to a router and use TeamViewer (with a LAN connection) to control another when I do not want to sit in front of it.

7. DVOM

DVOM

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice