1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doju, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doju

Doju Thread Starter

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite.
    My first question deals with the screeensaver. For some reason, even when I go under Desktop, right click, Properties, Screensaver, and I enter in a screensaver and click "Apply," the screensaver never comes up. Any ideas?
    My second question is more for reference sake: How long will a standard 6-cell Li-Ion last alone (aka, without the computer being plugged into the wall). 3 hours?

2. techno_lust

techno_lust

don"t know about the screensaver issue but I can tell you that my Toshiba L25 laptop came with a 4 cell battery that only lasted about 45 minutes so I bought the 6 cell and it will last about 2 hours give or take 30 minutes depending on how you use the laptop.

3. Doju

Doju Thread Starter

Thx for the battery info. Any advice from anyone on the screensaver?

I also almost forgot to post my most important question:
    The website for my computer tells me that my laptop has "Windows XP Media Center Edition," but when I go under the Toshiba Diagnostic Tool on my laptop, it says I have "Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2." I am thoroughly confused.
    Help,
    Doju

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Right click My Computer and choose Properties and tell us what version that shows.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

when you selected a different screensaver did you change the time before it comes on?

6. Augie65

Augie65

Do you have a wireless mouse? If you do, unplug the wireless adapter or turn off the mouse and see if that helps.

7. Doju

Doju Thread Starter

Augie65, your suggestion/guess was correct, thx a lot.

Rich-M, once I right-click --> Properties, it does not say anything about a version.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Let's try it again...right click My Computer, then left click properties and:

9. snooker

snooker

Hi ... You can also try the following as well >>> start >>> all programs >>> accessories >>> system tools >>> system information

HIH

10. Doju

Doju Thread Starter

Sorry about that Rich-M, I was right clicking, Properties on the "My Computer" shortcut on my desktop, now I get it.

It says Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition.
    Any ideas why the diagnostic tool says Proffesional?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know all the brand name makers feel the need to provide their "diagnostic" programs, which seldom serve any good purpose at all on every system, sort of like a justification for their brand name on the case, and one of the best things you can do to optimize your pc, is to uninstall all of them from day 1!

12. Doju

Doju Thread Starter

Okay, thx Rich-M. Any other suggestions for such optimization? I've been searching in the forums for them but without too much success.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Laptops can never have enough ram and keep startup "lean and mean"...the rest I find to be meaningless crap!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice