1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Number 18, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Number 18

Number 18 Thread Starter

Ok so I just bought a new laptop yesterday

what things I should do before starting to use it

some told me to recharge it for 24 hours before using

I got Toshiba U500 with windows 7

I also noticed that it didn't include a recovery disk with it, is it normal?
    thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes - when you first start the machine and go through the intitial setup - it should ask if you want to create recovery DVDs
    You will need about 4, some machines are two some with application and drivers 3 - HP machines often askk for 4 and then only use 3 !!!

If you do not do it at that time, you can always run the recovery manager later - some machine you can only run the recovery CD creator once , HP I know do this, not sure about toshiba, i know sony and samsung, you can create many times.

I would remove any demo programs you do not want to keep and then pay for, like office 2007, probably Mcafee or Norton - and replace with your preferred antivirus - I would also install
    Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html - and update and run them regularly,

If you want an office type program, then maybe look at openoffice - its free
    I also like google chrome as a web browser, I used firefox for a year or two - but have used chrome for the last 2 months and quite like it

Have alook at the power options and battery life, a lot of manufactures are now putting on battery savers, they tend to only charge the battery to about 80% and then stop charging..

otherwise - have some fun

3. Number 18

Number 18 Thread Starter

@etaf
    can I use an audio cd or anything other than DVD?
    and why is it that they didn't give me one like the old days?

I guess it depends on the system used not the hardware, so maybe that's how windows 7 work!

@CreativeOnline1
    well do thanks :)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Cost saving
    No - They started this on XP Shipped machines many years ago...

Yes you can use CDs BUT you may need loads - I think I saw The HP recovery or ACER recover I did recently say it need 28 CDs

assuming you need 2DVDs for the OS and 1DVD for the Utilities and Drivers - which I needed for an a brand new ACER windows 7 backup I did 2 weeks ago...
    and lets assume they are full up
    4.7GB = 4700MB * 3 DVDs = 14,100MB
    Assming a CD is 650MB (Not the 700 Audio ones, just for argument sake)
    14100/650 = 21.7 CDs

I would say use DVDs

5. Number 18

Number 18 Thread Starter

oh ok I think I will use DVDs

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice