New LCD monitor doesnt appear to have digital as advertized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamescricket

Hi, I just recieved my new 19 inch LCD monitor, but it doesnt appear to have a DVI port,

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1513442&Sku=S197-1924

if you scroll down to where it says Features

it says

Flicker and Static Free
PNP: DDC1/2B (Analog), DDC2B (Digital)
Less Than VLMF Radiationi Standard
Panel & base detachable
Factory presetting mode: 41
Ergotron Arm Compatable (VESA 100mm)

ok, but when I look under my monitor, there is a VGA port, but the place where the digital would go, is covered over with those little pop off metal plates, and doesnt appear that any digital slot exists

should I return it and get one with DVI? what kind of performance gain should I expect to see from DVI

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
One nice thing about a digital is that if you want two monitors, one is usually connected to the DVI port. I'd be unhappy if I bought something that stated it had both interfaces, and got something that didn't have them! :(

SirKenin

Banned
There are a lot of flat panel monitors on the market that don't have DVI inputs. It's not a big deal. You just use a DVI adapter if you need to run dual monitors. Otherwise, just use the D-SUB plug. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I know that, however if you buy one that is advertised to have both modes and it's missing one, that's not something I'd stand still for, you Canadians may be more understanding. :)

Under the "detailed specs" tab it only lists analogue input however.

DDC2B is a digital connection between a computer display and a graphics adapter that allows the display to communicate its specifications to the adapter. The DDC2B is just part of the VGA connection that allows digital control of some monitor parameters, its not the same as a DVI port.

I only buy dual VGA/DVI for the reasons JohnWill gave above. There is a noticeable difference between DVI and Analogue as regards quality of display, not a lot though.

In short, it appears that you did indeed get what was advertised.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If you looked at the photo gallery, you'd clearly see that there is no DVI port ;)

jamescricket

ok, understood, but you cant blame me for not knowing the thing about DDC2B digital. I seen (analog ) and (digital) and assumed.

and I didnt even see the detailed specs tab

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Not blaming, just pointing it out so that you'll be aware in the future :)

loony_taz00 said:
So besides the dual monitor thing is there an advantage to DVI?
In a VGA system the video signal is created digitally, then converted in the video card to analogue, sent to the LCD monitor as analogue where its converted back to digital.

Thats two conversions of the video data.

In DVI its digital all the way, no conversions.

The benefit depends on the quality of the A-D conversion electronics, on some screens its quite noticeably sharper on DVI, on others not a lot of difference.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'd get a monitor with both. Just in case ;) Of course, your video card has to be capable of both as well.

Just my two humble centavos.

Happy Holidays :)

I researched this topic thoroughly when asked to pick out an LCD monitor for my sister.

Some will say go with DVI for an LCD since it is indeed digital. However i've seen first hand that either output to an LCD will provide the same clarity in picture. Maybe if you had a super eye that can detect minute imperfections you may notice a difference, but my 20/20 vision doesn't notice the difference.

Like John Will said though. IF it was advertised to use either DVI or VGA then thats what you should have recieved. Otherwise if you can forgive the misrepresentation i don't think you will notice a difference either way.

I run 2 identical monitors side by side, one VGA and one DVI, both from the same video card (which has dual outputs).

The previous monitors used here did indeed show a marked difference in quality, the present newer ones are less noticeable, but it is better on DVI. With newer monitors, the improvement with DVI is less obvious I believe. It does remove the need to rely on "auto setup" to digitally map the output of the A-D converter though, which can introduce quality loss if its not well done.

I agree that you should get what was advertised, and without misrepresentation. However in this case there was no misrepresentation and the original poster did indeed get what was advertised.

SirKenin

Banned
There is supposedly some big difference in quality, but I think the greatest part of that is the imagination of the user. It's a hefty placebo factor I think. There is a very small increase in definition, but it's nothing to get upset about if you didn't get a monitor with a DVI input. You're not missing much.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online