New litigation campaign targets tens of thousands of movie downloaders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mumbodog

It's getting ugly.

http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com...ts-tens-of-thousands-of-bittorrent-users.html

The genesis of this legal campaign occurred in Germany when lawyers from the US Copyright Group were introduced to a new proprietary technology by German-based Guardaley IT that allows for real-time monitoring of movie downloads on torrents. According to Thomas Dunlap, a lawyer at the firm, the program captures IP addresses based on the time stamp that a download has occurred and then checks against a spreadsheet to make sure the downloading content is the copyright protected film and not a misnamed film or trailer.

yea...now the folks that steal movies by downloading them illegally are facing a much better detection method!!

I don't download movies because there are not any really worth going through all that trouble for. This protection scheme will not help Big Content. Only changing their business model will help them survive.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I am fine paying Netflix $8.95 a month. If I time it correctly and watch the movie the day I get it and return it the next day in the mail, I can get 2 movies a week. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Not sure how they can check the torrent to a spreadsheet. They can't actually be checking the file name itself.

Netflix is what I also use. It's still a great deal even after being dissed by Warner Brothers. That is a sad state of affairs. If they want you to buy the movie instead of renting then they need to work on their pricing first. I hate paying for a bad movie, which I have done more then once, and that's why I like to rent first. If it's really good I'll buy it. (used or at a discount)

Mumbodog

Several friends of mine have cut the cable and dish, they use Netflix online to view their movies, also sites like Hulu.

$8.99 a month is a bargain.

I have netflix as well and have 0 complaints with it, only thing i wish was that the ENTIRE library could be availble for instant streaming, i dont know, something with me waiting for a movie bugs me. Yes we get the weekly dvds in the mail but i atcually prefer the live streaming, now if netflix would just post their entire library to streaming id be completely sold.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts