1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New m/b and cpu with xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flyboy320, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

I have swapped out my old m/b and cpu (and kept my h/d cd writer, ect.). As expected, xp will not start in "normal" or "safe" mode, it gives "a serious error has occurred...." just after loading the drivers and hangs at a blue screen.

So I thought perhaps I could do a "restore" option from the cd during startup to try and get xp to boot. When I do this it asks for the admin password, but when I installed xp professional, I did so without any admin passwords. Is they anything I'm missing or could try?

I then was going to try and install xp from the cd overtop the old one, but was concerned if I do that option then all my files, programs, ect. on the h/d may be deleted. Is this the case, or will the installation on top of the old one keep all you files intact?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

did you try hitting enter without typing a password?

loading over will not delete data but will require you to reinstall all of your applications.

did you try a repair instead of a restore?....boot from the xp cd, hit enter, then F8 then choose (R) for repair and see if it fixes it.

3. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

I did try hitting enter without any password, and the computer just restarted.

When you say

"loading over will not delete data but will require you to reinstall all of your applications. "

does that mean any programs like games, utilities, ect. will be deleted?

I believe that when I tried doing a repair it also asked for a admin password.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice