New MacBook Pro + Monitor = Slow Internet Speed

MoreThanMagic

Hi,

I purchased a Macbook Pro in April (2021).

When I connect an external monitor (using a SergTECH adapter) my internet speed and connection becomes slow and or intermittent. If I remove the external monitor, but keep the adapter connected, speed is fine.

I've read similar complaints, and found this on apple's site: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

I have tried connecting to both 2g and 5g, neither makes a difference if the monitor is connected.

I'm not super close to the router, but my 10-year-old MBP works just fine, with or without a monitor (no adapter required).

I don't have full access or control over the router (renter, shared internet), but could access it if needed. Also, I'm usually the only one on the network during the day and it happens day or night.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

Couriant

James
When you say 'the speed/connection becomes slow', do you mean the web pages seem to take longer to load? have you tried a speedtest when you are connected to adapter?

What is the exact model of the adapter?

MoreThanMagic

RE: do web pages seem to take longer to load?
>> Yes, or time out completely.

RE: have you tried a speedtest when you are connected to adapter?
>> Speedtest.net results:
with adapter and without adapter (no monitor): approximatley DL = 20 UP = 8.3-ish Ping = 34
with adapter and monitor: DL = 8.3 UP = 6.7 Ping = 36

I restarted before each test.

RE: What is the exact model of the adapter?
SERGTECH, HubPRO

Thank you!!

EDIT: Corrected my speed test results

Last edited:

MoreThanMagic

Repeated the speed test after working for a while and having pulled the laptop out of sleep a few times...

DL = 3.49 / UP = 2.75 / Ping = 32

MoreThanMagic

Any thoughts on this. It's maddening to have a brand new laptop and not be able to connect it to anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online