1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Machine Help

Discussion in 'Games' started by Logan102, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

I just bought a HP A810N pc, 3300 64bit 512mb 160gig xp home machine that I put a ATI 8x 9550 256mb video card in and the performance on Far Cry, and Battlefield 1942 is horrible, It is as bad as my old machine that was 800mghz 512mb nvidia mx420 64mb. Can someone help me figure out what the deal is, did I get a crappy card? If so I might be able to take it back.

2. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Did you remove the old drivers? And update the drivers from the manufactors web page, not from microsoft's web page.

3. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

Yes, I also flashed the bios and then my motherboard started beeping.

4. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Ok, so now you have another problem? Or is our mobo okay?

5. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

I think the mobo is fine it is booting up fine and everything, it is just the card that is bothering me. Does this make sense to you?

6. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Is the computer new or refurbished?

7. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

What drivers are you using now? List down everything, especially your mobo and sound drivers. Maybe there's some kind of conflict...

8. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

The PC is a new HP a810N. My mobo is a Asus K8S-LA, I am using the newest ATI catalyst drivers for the video. Sound is Integrated AC97. I have a great sound card in my old machine, would it possibly help to put it in the new one and disabled the onboard mess?

9. NiallDon

NiallDon

Run a benchmark tool such as 3D mark or sisoft sandra to stresss the graphics card and make it work. If your score is crap, then go to device manager to see if there is any conflicts.

If no conflicts turn up, go to add/remove programs in the control panel to see if tere are two sets of radeon drivers on your machine. If there is, remove them and do a fresh install.

After that...... I would start to suspect hardware difficulties and if your computer is new, bring it back to where you bought it.

Have fun :rolleyes:

10. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

My score on the 3D Mark was 2298, how does that look?

11. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

im not a pro on 3dmark but i believe you should be getting around 4000-5000.

12. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

Should I get a refund on my pc and build one? Another thing that is bothering me is that my processor AMD 3300+ 2.4 is supposed to have 1800 mhz front side bus and nothing is reflecting that.

13. bitchin

bitchin Banned

Do you have the 64 bit processor....if you do, your FSB will only operate at full potential when you have 64 bit OS and programs.

14. Logan102

Logan102 Thread Starter

It is a 64 bit. The video benchmarks are horrible do you think I should take the pc back?

15. bitchin

bitchin Banned

Maybe try stickin your new video card in a different computer to eliminate the possibility of a bad card.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice