1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Machine, (long time gone) NEED HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Greenseason, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greenseason

Greenseason Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    Man-O-Man it is good to be back. Quite a few things have changed for me since the last time I was here, not the least that I have gotten married and now ha a beautiful baby girl who is a blessing (not to mention that "Over the hills and Far Away" by Led Zep is her favorite song for me to play on the guitar, so she is freakin' cool to boot!((Not like Kyle and "Kick the Baby" but you know what I mean.))).
    O.K. now to my problems... my wife bought a Toshiba Satellite P-205D-S7439 with the Windows Vista OS( My 1rst thought was great another platform to learn) but I have been able to get around pretty easily. The thing is that she later purchased an external HD (Maxtor One-Touch with 380 gig ) I am a lucky happy man. But within about a week and a half 362 gig were somehow used by ??? ( I am sure I probably pushed the button that I was not supposed to push unless I was wanting to immediatly use 19/20ths of my available storage:).)
    Now my laptop has 180 gig and I am down to about 15 to 20 gig on it and I would really, really appreciate some direction in handling the required actions it will take to rectify whatever mistake it was that I made in the 1rst place. The folks here are the only ones that I trust with advice concerning these matters, and hopefully someone will be kind enough to guide my blind behind through this mealstrom of technicality that lies ahead.
    If there is anything needed on my part just let me know, because of the amount of help I need I don't believe I will be a flippant , beligerent participant, or in any way an idiot that stands up just to get teeth kicked down their throat ( I only have a few of those left anyway ;) )

Thanks for the time,
    greenseason:D

2. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

My 1st question would be what does it show that is stored on this external? Under "computer" you should see this new drive and double click to open and look at what is there. I'm assuming you have already gone there to see what it claims if used and free but open it up and look through it. Make sure you have the correct HD. I'm not sure how you can accidentally put on 362gb of data but maybe you backed up your internal HD twice?

3. Greenseason

Maybe I should clarify a bit: Both my wife and myself use this machine and she DLs about as much as I do. I have taught her how to safely do this as was taught tot me by the members here.
    What I do not know is what has went where and when I find out that bit of info and move the things I would like to keep I will have to somehow redirect the info in the reg to the proper location and the registry is my boogyman, I fear it and believe that it is right that I do.
    There are only several files within the maxtor backup files but with my wife's activity I have no Idea what is where. How can I find this out (if that is possible). I do not want to loose info that I have either been given or have worked on. I like the system and do not want to have to loose it.

O.K> it says that I have:
    #1 Maxtor Backup - File Seems to be the same as #3 ( I dont know if it is exactly the same but looks as if it might be)
    #2 Retrospect Restore Points - File Holds 1 Restore point Level2-5

Level2 is broken down as: TYANDCANDISPC/History/Level2/C/Audio Work Folder - Program Files - Users

Level3: TYANDCANDISPC/History/Level3/C/Program Files - Users

Level4: TYANDCANDISPC/History/Level4/C/Program Files - Users

Level5: TYANDCANDISPC/History/Level5/C/Program Files - Users

Within each of the Level Files under the Prog Files and Users there are only 2 to 5 files in each, not much as it seems. I have no idea as to what the purpose of these files are.

#4 TYANDCANDISPC Backup Sets - File
    This breaks down to 2 Backup files and a Catalog File

#5 Windows OneCare Backup - File
    TYANDCANDISPC/2008/Catalogs - Files - DO_NOT_DELETE.backupSetID
    #6 autorun - Says that it opens with Notepad in its properties
    #7 MediaID.bin
    #8 mxoicon2 - its just an icon

It looks like #s 1 and 3 are the same . I know that there are things that have been saved to these files but I really dont know what to where.

4. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

Not familiar with those file names and unsure what you are using for backups op's but what are the sizes of these files? You should find that 2 of these files equal 160gb and that's just my best guess. Does match your internal size and used, and a lil' less than the total taken up on the external. Don't delete as of yet but let me know the sizes. I'll check here again.

5. Orumph

Orumph

Go get this app....

http://windirstat.info/

it will show you where all your drive space is being used.
    I don't think it will show you how mush is being used in the System Volume Information folder. This is where all the restore points are kept. To clear them, turn off system restore, reboot and turn it back on. You may not need to reboot, but I do just because I'm not sure if it completely dumps them all.

Rigth Click Computer / Properties / System Protection / Uncheck boxes and click apply

6. Orumph

Orumph

the files you are referring to are probably all part of the retrospect backup that the retrospect program created. If you hit the button on the maxtor drive it will start a backup, it is a one touch backup drive. These are your backed up files. If you feel you don't need the backup, then it should be safe to delete them. But you should make sure you have the files elsewhere. Check the Retrospect software itself to see if you can browse the backup. I am not completely familiar with Retrospect Backup.

7. Greenseason

In response to panicrooster there are 2 whole duplicates of the laptop the first is on TyandCandisPC the 2nd is on the Maxtor backup file and the one difference that immediately stands out to me is that in the first (TyandCandis) there are more app exts Apps and dat files listed under all of the initial files(Program files,Audio Data, Data, etc. ...) also one of my favorite applications are listed there. I am in no hurry to start deleting anything at this point, I have caused myself tremendous headaches from jumping the gun and allowing haste to dictate my actions. I hate headaches;)

8. Greenseason

In response to Orumph, First of all let me say Thank You thats a cool little proggie(Love the pac man). Second, is there a way that I can post a pic of the desk top with the report here( I already have the jpeg saved and ready to roll) / (it is not allowing me to access the report send) because of the amount of info I do not want to misrepresent or misstate what is there ( and it seems like a lot of info)?

9. Orumph

Orumph

I think the only thing you do to load a picture is upload it to another service and then provide a link.
    Unfortunately I have never done this before so would not be able to point you in the right direction.

10. Greenseason

Sorry I havent been back in a few days, I have been perusing my files trying to get a grasp ( a better one anyway) as to what I am dealing with. Man this thing is everywhere... literally. Seems I am hip deep in my own mess. After about a half an hour of looking around and trying to connect the dots I get so frustrated I usually end up with one slamming headache. I have figured out a few (very few) things and it seems I am going to have to redirect a lot of info back to a source ( just gonna have to decide where that source is going to be). This will be an enourmous chore seeing that when it comes to redirection of files I am one lost pup. Well, just wanted to let panicrooster, and orumph know where I was at, ( and I am very grateful for your time and knowledge) and that I am definitly not blowing you off ( I am a little slow , But I will eventually get there. ;) )

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice