1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Machine w/ Vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Djg4Lyfe, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djg4Lyfe

Djg4Lyfe Thread Starter

Hello all,
    My job has me traveling 100% of the time, so I cannot go a day without a laptop. I recently found out that my computer does not like Jameson and Coke as much as I do, so I had to purchase another one asap. I'm working contract work right now on Navy installations, and as more than a few of you here know, that the NEX does not really carry next gen machines. I have the old hard drive out of my old machine and am using a SATA to USB cable to pull all of my information off of it. I than ran into a problem when trying to do some reports. I use a program called Neat Receipts for documention of expenditures and it will not run on Vista 64 bit.

Long story short, I was wondering if was at all possible to boot from my old laptops hard drive via the cable?

I was also wondering, I purchased a HP Pavilion DV2940SE because it was the "best" laptop they had there. But I ran a test and found it will not perform in the new up and coming MMO, Warhammer. I was wondering if there was any way to change the graphics card out of this system without causing more problems.

Thanks a lot!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't boot Windows from an external drive. Since 64-bit Windows isn't supported, you'd have to install a 32-bit version of Windows if you need to use this program.

Very few laptops allow the video cards to be swapped. As far as I know, HP laptops don't support this either.

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Hey! Stop that!! Jameson should be drunk straight, not even with ice! (smile)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice