New Mail Notification not working in Outlook 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ITguy81

I am having difficulties getting the new mail notification to work in Outlook 2000. For almost 2 months now, about half of my users have been having to manually refresh their inboxes by clicking on a folder besides the inbox, and then the messages will appear in their inbox, ususally several at a time. They can be a few minutes old or even an hour or more old. I have tried rebuilding some of their email accounts on their machines, which works fine until they close and reopen Outlook, then it doesn't work anymore. I've also tried reinstalling Office and that doens't work. I also replaced a user's machine last week for a different reason, and so far their email is working fine, so I am not inclined to think it's a server issue, although I'm not ruling it out. Also, another problem I'm having is that some of these users are also having difficulties with sent messages staying in their outbox. The messages are actually being sent, but a blank copy of the email and who it's to is remaining in the outbox until you click on either the outbox or a different folder and it will then clear. We are using Windows 2000 clients with Office and Outlook 2000 on a 2000 Exchange Server. To my knowledge there have been no changes between the time it was working find and now. Could it be a security update issue from Windows Update or maybe a server issue? I've searched extensively on Microsft's KB without success so far. The really oddball thing about this problem is that it's not affecting all my users. I'd say about half to 3/5 of them are having this problem. I myself and the rest of the IT department aren't having this issue . I also have all the programs that each of our departments use installed on my machine to aid in supporting problems, and I don't have this issue. I also have all the latest Windows and Office updates. On the machines that are having the problems, some of them are up to date on Office, and some of them or not, but all of them are up to date on Windows updates.

Sorry for the long post but I want to give you as much information as I can. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, because my head is starting to hurt from where I've been beating it against the wall! Thank you!

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
I don't really have any ideas, but just a question that might help clarify further. Do all the people that it works for have Admin permissions and the others don't? Just wondering because you said it worked for everyone in IT.

ITguy81

Actually all users are set up as Admins. I didn't set it up that way, I got here after that was done. We have roughly 75 PC users that work in our office area. All of those users have Admin permissions. I'd say about 40 of them are having this problem. I just can't figure out why it's happening to a portion of the users. There are no significant differences between machines, and all email accounts are set up identically. Hmm... Quite a head scratcher I've got here. I hope I can figure it out soon or I'm gonna scratch all the hair right off my head!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online