1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New MB old Hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhema7, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhema7

rhema7 Thread Starter

I got a new puter not including a hard drive,I was gonna use a old HD from my daughters old puter,but i can not get it boot up using a system disk.so my question is can I use this old HD in this new system?undefined

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

More details, please.

Are you trying to use that second drive as the main system drive on the new computer, or are you just using it as extra space?

What is on the old drive? Any operating system? Do you want to keep what is on the drive or clean it out?

When you say that you can't boot from a "system disk", do you mean a startup floppy? What happens?

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It is not likely nor recommended to use a working hard drive from a different system. None of the drivers will work. The older OSes like 98,ME will choke on trying to find the right new ones. Windows XP will refuse to run at all with that many changes.
    The old drive should work if you start fresh. It's an aweful lot of work to buy a new machine w/o a hard drive and go through all of that for a used unit.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. What 'system' disk are you trying to use? If it's a system disk that came with the other computer, I don't believe it's going to work anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice