1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New MB, Vid Card, CPU Installed... 1st Boot = Good, 2nd Boot = Not So Good

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chibahawk, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Basicly I booted once and everything seemed kosher.. my resolution was like 800x600 and I saw my old desktop and all. Then I moved the PC back to the shelf but I lost my video signal.

I redid the monitor connection and everything was cool again I thought, I got my video signal back but then I got hit with that error when trying to boot.

It's recognizing my HDD but it just won't boot Windows for some reason. Hope it's not too bad.

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you install a new motherboard and attempt to use the old install of windows?
    When you install a new board [unless the new one is the same exact chipset as the old one] it requires one of two things.

1 A clean install or a repair install of windows.

OR

2 Follow a procedure for swapping boards; however this starts with the old board still installed so you really have only option 1.

4. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

but how come it booted windows the first tiime?

will i lose old files on HDD through whatever I have to do now?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It starts to boot and then detects all the new hardware. As I posted there is a procedure to follow to accomplish this task. You cannot just install a new board and expect an nt based os to boot.

You can try a repair install of windows. This leaves all installed apps and data intact. In any case I would pull the drive and slave it to the system you are using now. Copy any important data. Now reinstall the drive and do the install and or repair.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice