1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NEW MB wont boot from new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccrum, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccrum

ccrum Thread Starter

I was putting a new computer together and got a ECS 945GZT-M mother board, a socket 775 P4 3 GHz, 1 gig of RAM. I also purchased a sony DVD-RW and a Seagate 7200.10 80 GB HD. I installed everything, and all powered up. I checked the BIOS to make sure all the drives were listed and in the correct boot order. They were althogh they were listed as the third IDE devices. I went ahead and put in a WIN XP cd and botted the machine. I installed windows on the HD and at the point wher eit tells you it will restart, I ejected the disk and let it restart. The computer refuses to boot from the HD. I keep getting the error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". If I put any bootable disk in the DVD drive it boots every time, but not from a HD. I tried three different OS install disks, 2 WIN XP and one win2k on two different Hard drives all with the same results. Anyone have a clue?

2. Striker840

Striker840

You need to make sure the HDD is set as the first boot device or second device with no disk in the dvd drive, and the jumpers are set correctly. Sometimes if the Drive is the only hard drive the jumper is not needed. On the drive case there will be a diagram of the jumper settings. Make sure the jumpers are set correctly, the boot order is set and then attempt a reboot. It SHOULD complete the XP Install if everything is set properly.

3. ccrum

ccrum Thread Starter

I tried setting the HD as the first boot device with no disk in the DVD. Same result. I tried all the jumper settings as well as no jumper at all....same result each time. I also tried having the HD as the only drive in the machine...same result. Any other ideas or is it time to take the MB back?

4. Striker840

Striker840

I THINK I may have found the issue, in your first post you stated this:
    I just pulled up a pic of your new board and it looks like it has 2 IDE connections so depending on how they are numbered put your HDD in connection 0 or 1 and the DVD in 1 or 2 IOW the HDD in the lower number and try again. I will check back later, wife wants to go do something so we all know how that is.

5. ccrum

ccrum Thread Starter

I'll give it a try, but both are in the PRIMARY right now on the same cable. Like I said before, I removed the DVD drive entirely, so the HD was the only drive, the only boot device, and the only thing on the cable on the PRIMARY IDE port.

6. dez_666

dez_666

you could try resetting the BIOS if you fiddled with it too much..you could also see if another computer will recognize the drive as boot media..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice