1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New mem intall corrupted OS, need to recover data!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ashegam, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashegam

ashegam Thread Starter

So I guess I installed a couple of bad sticks of mem and it corrupted my OS to the point that my comp wont' boot into windows.

So I purchased a usb enclosure thingy megingy and hooked up my laptop HD ( the bad one ) to my desktop. I can access the HD just fine but I can't see all the files. when I hover the mouse over the drive it shows 13GB used but when I actually go into the HD no folder even comes close to having that much data. some are just empty or just don't show up.

How can I recover the data on my HD?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I doubt the RAM corrupted your hard drive. What error messages are you getting to make you think that?

3. ashegam

ashegam Thread Starter

it is my mem. apps started crashing/closing as soon as I installed this mem. then when I ran a mem test from my hp bios is found errors and coudln't even finish the test. even with the old mem I can't boot.

It takes me to the screen that says windows could not start normally.
    do you want to start with...
    last working setup.
    safe mode
    safe mode and network
    and one other one

all of them take me to a blue screen of death as soon as I choose one and comp crashes and restarts.
    can't tell you what the blue screen is because it doesn't even pause or anything is just crashed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice