1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New memory (sort of) kills PC...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SatDoug, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SatDoug

SatDoug Thread Starter

Greetings all:
    I will attempt to be as concise & brief as possible:

I have a Tyan S1854 motherboard, with 256 Megs RAM (3 DIMM sticks- all 3 bays filled), running Windows ME. I purchased (2) 256 sticks to increase my memory to 512 (wasn't planning to use the old memory). I shut down & unplug the PC, remove all existing memory, install the two 256 sticks, power up & get a steady beeping. I remove the two sticks (again, and throughout the entire time, I have a wrist strap & am very careful), replace my original three sticks, power up (the HDD light lights up) and after 2 seconds immediately auto-powers off. I spend an hour reseating the sticks, clearing the CMOS, etc. No luck. Always the same 2 second boot & then shut down. After an hour of trying to get my old memory to work, for the heck of it, I insert one of the new sticks. Bang...the PC powers up. I adjust the CMOS settings & get into Windows. Thinking ahead, I burn 2 CDR's of all my current data. Then I shut down and attempt to restart...no luck again!

I call Tyan support & they think I may have affected a ground when pushing in the memory (or the power supply may be on its last legs). They suggest I remove the board & only attach one memory stick & the monitor & see if it powers up (I don't have another supply so I can't try that, but the supply's fuse & voltage is good per a Fluke meter). Otherwise, I am still under warranty.

Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else here, and if so, what I might try.

Thank you all!
    -Doug

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Does the new RAM stick work in your PC when the older one is pulled out? If yes, then it seems that your two RAM sticks are not compatible with each other and you will have to replace at least one of them. :(

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It could be possible that the motherboard is shorting itself on one of the metal standoffs. This assuming it uses metal stands. As the people at Tyan said, you may have moved the MB when inserting the new ram.

See if the motherboard moves at all on it's stands. If so, you may need to tighten the screws holding the MB down after you get it centered right.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally pull any cable connections out while you were inserting the new memory?

4. SatDoug

SatDoug Thread Starter

Thank you for the replys...when I got the PC to boot, it was with only one stick (256 Mb) of the new memory. When I shut down, it wouldn't turn on again. And as far as I can see without moving the MB, everything looks well-connected & secure, including the MB to the case.

The only new development to report is that now when I press the power, the hard drive light doesn't even come on for a second...it is completely dead. However, when I disconnect/reconnect the power cord to the supply, I get a brief light on my cordless mouse transmitter (so the standby power may or may not be passing through).

I have ordered a new motherboard & supply, but in the meantime, a friend is coming over tonight with a spare supply to test. I plan on removing the MB from the case & keeping just one stick of memory, the processor and the monitor connected, and seeing if I can get it to POST. If so, I'll keep adding the cards, etc. This should narrow down the possibilities. If I get it all working, I'll put it back in the case and take it from there.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this thread again soon!

5. SatDoug

SatDoug Thread Starter

So it appears that it was the motherboard all along; the replacement board powered up with no problems after the last 3 days (I couldn't get the old board to power when it was isolated & removed from the case, even just by itself with no cards). I would guess that there may have been a weak solder joint near the memory banks of the old board, and perhaps the pressure of inserting the new memory sticks caused a break. Thank you all for your suggestions & help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice