1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New memory - won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no fear, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have an IP35-E motherboard with Patriot PDC22G6400LLK DDR2 RAM (2x1GB).

After upgrading to quad core a few weeks back, I've purchased 2x2GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 DDR2 RAM (I am certain it is compatible with the motherboard).

However, upon installing the memory, I start the machine but it wont post/boot. I've tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper - no joy there. I also believe all the BIOS settings are set to auto.

Does this sound like broken memory, or am I missing something blatantly obvious?

There is no beeping from the motherboard...the fans just spin and the hard drives spin up a little bit.

Any help would be great!

Many thanks,
    Colin

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm guessing it boots when you remove the RAM?

If you remove the old RAM and only try one stick of the new RAM at a time, does it work?

Your old memory requires 2.1 volts, the new memory only needs 1.9 volts - if you have it set for 2.1 volts in the BIOS it may be too much for the new RAM?

3. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Hi Triple6, thanks for your reply!

The mobo has 4 slots - 2 black and 2 blue...
    I've tried installing both in blue (as per the old memory installation), one in blue and one in black (I know this puts them both into single channel...just wanted to try) and just one in blue...neither combination worked.

Is the voltage not controlled automatically? I couldn't see anything for the voltage, but I'll check again and dig a little deeper.

Many thanks!

Colin

EDIT:

With the old memory installed, the DDR2 voltage is showing 1.82v
    Under the 'voltages control' section', the DDR2 voltage is set to 'auto'
    Under the 'CPU operating speed' section, the DRAM Speed (CPU: DRAM) is: 'Default (DDR2-816)'

Does this help at all?

Colin

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not if you set ti to manual, plus when you mix RAM it cannot set voltages independently.

You may want to try clearing the CMOS and start with default settings.

5. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Sorry, I edited my post as you were halfway through kindly replying!

With the old memory installed, the DDR2 voltage is showing 1.82v
    Under the 'voltages control' section', the DDR2 voltage is set to 'auto'
    Under the 'CPU operating speed' section, the DRAM Speed (CPU: DRAM) is: 'Default (DDR2-816)'

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you raise the voltage to 1.9 or a tad higher then try the new RAM? Maybe its really picky on the correct voltage.

And if that and clearing the BIOS do not work, you may have to exchange it.

7. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

I did not change the voltages just yet - I decided to try the sticks individually (I tried earlier with just one, and it didn't POST...)

Lo and behold, one of the sticks will work on its own, but the other won't. That sucks :(

EDIT:

Maybe not...one of the sticks brings up the ABIT splash screen but won't got beyond that. The other won't display anything at all.

EDIT AGAIN:

Clearing the CMOS enables the 'good' stick to boot normally...am currently trying a combination of installing and clearing to make sure I'm not doing anything silly!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a compatibility issue. Bump up the voltage and see if it works any differently.

9. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

I set the voltage manually to 1.90v...the 'good' stick still boots on its own, but the other one doesn't. The pair also fail to boot together...

Colin

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If they are identical and one works but the other doesn't I think the one is faulty.

11. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

I think you're right :(

Will be sending them back and getting a replacement as soon as poss...I was looking forward to all that extra RAM! :(:(

Thank's so much for your help Triple6!

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem, and if you can or want you may want to get a different set - it shouldn't be this hard to get memory to work. Dunno if it was all because of the one non working stick or if there's other issues.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I hate to say this as I used to be a big user of Corsair, but recently I have had almost the same issue 3 times where the ram is listed compatible and neither stick will boot the pc and they all were shipped from Newegg. Of course when you go to return them there is no such thing as a refund, they need to get their 15% restocking fee even on defective ram? And their human customer service reps seem to have gone out with the bathwater along with product inspection team recently!

This has sent me back to Crucial only and no more luxury of Newegg. I would rather pay more for the thing and have real customer service anyway!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice