1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new microphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biz_gravy, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biz_gravy

biz_gravy Thread Starter

i just got this new simple little microphone, nothing fancy. So i plugged it into the correct, color coded hole, and my computer isn't detecting it. Then i realize that i need to go and configure it in the "speech" section of my control panel. I looked online to see how to do this, it says to go to the "speech recognition" tab. But i don't have that tab. All i have is a text to speach tab and i can't do anything as far as my microphone is concerned. I remember coming here before, messing around with the thing that reads out loud for visually impaired people, it was fun....i push a button, it says it outloud, but now i can't configure my mic cuz there is no speech recognition. How do i undo what i did, or rather, how do i make my computer recognize my mic?????

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What program are you trying to use it with????

3. biz_gravy

biz_gravy Thread Starter

just with any recording program, like the one that comes with xp.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't use XP that much, let me plug a mic into that system and see what I can find :D

In the meantime, perhaps others will have some ideas for you.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First make sure its not muted. This can be checked in two spots. In the Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Voice Tab -> Click on Volume on Voice Playback and make sure its not Muted and then Click on the Volume of Voice Recording and make sure the MIC is selected. You can go to Options in either and add extra Volume control bars if MIC is missing. Then go thru the Test Hardware wizard. At the Microphone Test, the bar for the MIC should move up while you speak into the MIC.

6. biz_gravy

biz_gravy Thread Starter

alright, something is wrong.....when i tried to "test hardware" under the voice tab, i get "an error occured during DirectPlay Voice Setup...the error code is 0x80004005" then i hit ok, and then the message "windows cannot execute Dpv.setup.exe"

This puzzles me, but will probably make it easier for you guys to diagnose this problem.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I got the same error. For some reason it tries to access the internet and my firewall wanted to block it. I allowed it to connect and rreran the wizard and then it worked. Try it again.

8. biz_gravy

biz_gravy Thread Starter

my firewall doesn't say it trys to access the internet. Just to be sure i set my firewall to allow all traffic.....still happened.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice