1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new mobo 1 ide old mobo had 2 ide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nickolodeon, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nickolodeon

Nickolodeon Thread Starter

Hi, everybody.
    I bought new mobo and it has only 1 IDE controlled. On my old mobo I had 2 effectively hooking 2 hdd on 1 and 2 cd roms on the second one.
    I planned to use 1 hdd and dvd rom and buy 1 sata hdd on 1Tb or more.
    However none of my 4 ide wires can hook hdd and dvd together because they are too far appart from each other in my system block. Are there ide wires that have bigger distance btwn device connectors? May be I can install SATA to IDE controller (do they go into PCI slot?)?
    Actually I would like to use both of my cd roms and one hdd. For such configuration I suppose I could by an enclosure for IDE/SATA hard drives and put hdd in there. Can I boot from it (theoretically)?
    Is that all or I have other choices to keep 2 cd and hdd (yet better both hdd)?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

There use to be back in the day, don't know if there are any for sale, you will just have to search parts websites.

Most of the time what you seek will be a longer than normal IDE cable, so start looking for a long IDE cable, they used these in servers where distance was greater from the mobo to devices, and devices were further apart.

http://www.cablesforless.com/p-376-48-inch-ide-cable.aspx

Problem solved

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One way would be to use drive rails and install a hard drive into a 5 1/4 bay. This puts the hd and optical next to each other.

Another option would be to buy a controller card and connect your hard disks to the controller card.

IMO modern hard disks are so cheap today that it makes little sense to use older, slower ide type drives when a modern sata drive with 32meg of cache is all of $55 at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136497

One other item regarding long ide cables. Cables longer than 36" were not recommended due to the possibility of data corruption. I used a few longer round type cables in systems and did not have this problem however it is something to consider.

4. Nickolodeon

Nickolodeon Thread Starter

Drive rails seem to be a solution for a few month. I would rather do that then search our city's local stores for a longer IDE wire and then blocking vent system even more. What are they? Do I need to do some soldering or just can go with a screw driver? As to new SATA disk, yes I am going to buy it, but I want it to be 1Tb yet better 1,5Tb. And I don't have 100 something $ on me right now to spare. Even when I'll buy one, I still want to use one old hdd and am contemplating the purchase of an external closure. More space is always better then less.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Drive rails should be available at any computer store ie real shop not best buy, etc. They just attach to the hd with screws then attach to the case or mounting brackets. These were even included in some retail hard drives a few years ago. I know some Maxtor drives came with these things.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice