1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Mobo and CPU - PC won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xrh600, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xrh600

xrh600 Thread Starter

Yesterday I received by mail, my ASRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 motherboard and my Dual Core E2160 processor. I decided that it was time to pack away the old P4 and dusty mobo I had for years. Removed the old mobo and such fine. Installed the new mobo without a hitch. (This is my first time doing this, but I'm fairly confident that I didn't screw anything up.) I installed the processor, by putting it the chip and pulling the lever to snug it in place. Popped the heatsink on (which had preapplied thermal paste) and then tightened down the pins, which took some time (and I'm still not sure if I did it right).

Anyways, I put in the psu, and hooked everything up to my understanding. 20-pin cord, 4-pin cord. The power switch, reset switch, hdd and power lights. Hooked the cd-rom, hdd, ram, pci expansions, agp video card, everything in properly. I go to turn on the pc, switch from both I / O on the back of the psu (at 120V), and I get nothing. Not a light, no spinning of the fan.

-I've double checked that this socket in the wall works, but have tried multiple.
    -I've installed my old motherboard again just to make sure that the power connectors and the power supply were still good. They are.
    -I've rearranged the positioning and such of the power connectors and lights.

The only thing that I can think of is that it was dead on arrival (which I'm doubting) No broken capacitors. The board was neatly wrapped in an anti-static bag. The bag hardly had a crease in it. Neither did the processor box. Everything just seems in mint condition, though I'm possibly wrong.

The only thing that I think that it could be is that I installed the processor wrong, or that I messed up something very stupid since this is my first time installing/replacing a motherboard and processor.

I should also mention that I hooked the board up on the anti-static bag, to make sure it wasn't the case shorting anything out, and it still failed to turn on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to determine if I'm doing something really stupid, or if either the motherboard or processor is damaged so I can send either one back.

Thanks a ton,
    Mark

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you plug in the +12v connector? It would have 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires and plug in near the processor.

3. xrh600

xrh600 Thread Starter

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The specs show it to have a 4 pin 12V power connector. I have never seen a Pentium or later board that did not have this connector. Normally it is a white 2x2 connector near the processor.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the picture in the link is an actual picture of the board I can see the +12v connector behind the I/O connectors.

6. xrh600

xrh600 Thread Starter

Yes, I wasn't sure what you meant at first but the white 4-pin 12v is plugged in as well.

7. jazz3000

jazz3000

It may well be your motherboard to casing, if there is nothing at all happening. Did you hook up the motherboard (new one) outside the casing to see if you could boot. Sometimes the connections between motherboard - screws and casing cause a complete short of the system. Head to the stickie at the top of the posts by crj and follow his steps for dealing with this type of troubleshooting. Jazz

8. xrh600

xrh600 Thread Starter

Yes, I've set it up outside of the case and I still get nothing.

I'll check out this thread.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your board uses a 4pin connector. Here is a pic of it [the connector is circled in red]

BTW do not use an anti-static bag to place the board on. Some of those bags conduct electricity on the outside of the bag. Use the mb box instead.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice