1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Mobo, CPU and GFX - won't boot to enter BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdenicholls, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdenicholls

jdenicholls Thread Starter

Today I was helping my brother install a new Mobo, CPU and GFX card to his PC. The installing seemed to go fine, I've built a few computers before and I didn't see anything go obviously wrong (no damage to parts etc). Yet when we came to plugging the computer in and turning it on the monitor just read "No Signal".

I tried the following:
    - Changed Monitor
    - Changed VGA Cable
    - Changed expansion slot we put the GFX Card in
    - Changed GFX Card

After searching round for some answers I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and attempted to boot the computer again. While the numlock function works the cap locks and scroll lock don't light up when pressed. Tried it with two keyboards so it is definitely a problem with the computer booting, despite the fact the GFX card, motherboard, case fan, case lights and CPU fan all light up/start spinning. Any ideas?

Specs:
    550W Power Supply
    Mobo: GIGABYTE P55M-UD2
    Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X
    CPU: Intel i5 750 QuadCore
    Mouse: Razor Deathadder
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

I should mention I didn't uninstall any of the old motherboard drivers before attempting the swap, which I understand now isn't good practice but which I thought wouldn't be a problem. Would this stop the computer booting?

Thanks to all of you who take the time to respond.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not a driver problem, yet.

Did you remember to plug in the auxiliary power connectors to both the motherboard and video card? What brand power supply are you using?

Also, at the top of this forum there's a guide for troubleshooting builds. You should go through those steps and report back.

3. jdenicholls

jdenicholls Thread Starter

Ok I did as requested. Firstly yes I did connect the auxiliary cables. We ran four different combinations of parts:

1) New Mobo/CPU, New GFX and New RAM - didn't work
    2) New Mobo/CPU, New RAM and Old GFX - didn't work
    3) Old Mobo/CPU, Old RAM and New GFX - didn't work
    4) Old Mobo/CPU, Old RAM and Old GFX - booted succesfully

The power supply we are using is non-branded, it came with the case. According to my brother it's over 2 years old, so although it is labelled 550W I'm guessing it's well below that now. My current theory is that the power supply is inadequate, the only other explanation to me is that both parts are faulty and I find that less likely. Your thoughts?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also if its 'unbranded' they are extremely poor quality and you want a quality power supply with the hardware you have, they rarely put out what they advertise when new let alone after years of use - plus where that wattage goes usually isn't where its needed on the cheap units and thats the critical 12 volt rail.

Your diagnostics would indicate that the problem could be with either the PSU or the video card, at least for now since you cannot get the new video card to work with the old system.

In any case you should get a decent power supply regardless. Here's good one with power to spare: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Then we'll go from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice