1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New Mobo Cpu error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph.Steve, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ph.Steve

Ph.Steve Thread Starter

Just put together a PC, msi meg z390 ace motherboard, put in a i7-8700.. When I turn the power on, I'm getting power to the mobo but the debug led flashes 00 with the cpu led and one fan turns on for a second, this is all that happens on a loop every 5 seconds or so. I checked the cpu to make sure all the pins are in place, cooler is not too tight, and all cords are still connected correctly, came figure out why it will not boot. Nothing will show on monitor.
    Anyone know what could be happening?

Msi meg z390 ace
    Intel i7-7800
    Nvidia 1080ti
    Evga 750 watt gold

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. Ph.Steve

Ph.Steve Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I meant i7-8700

4. Ph.Steve

Ph.Steve Thread Starter

Is it possible my ram might not compatible?

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It's possible, read the full Ram model name from the box or the ram itself and include it in your reply please and we can try to find out.

6. tecknurd

tecknurd

Remove all parts from the computer case. Place it on something like the motherboard box. Reset the CMOS. Leave just the RAM and CPU connected and test. Use one memory module and test. Try all memory slots with one memory module. The video card should not be connected to the motherboard when testing the motherboard.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST issue.

Some common errors for new builders;
    1 The 4/8/12pin aux pw connector not plugged in
    2 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
    3 Ram not fully seated. Either atx or aux pw connectors not fully seated
    4 Bent motherboard socket pin due to incorrect install of cpu. More an intel issue than an amd issue since the amd type cpu/socket are just about idiot proof

I just checked the specs on your board. While I am NOT a fan of msi, at least that one seems to be a decent board. The specs show two separate 8pin aux connectors. Are you sure you have both installed?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  8. Ph.Steve

Ph.Steve Thread Starter

Yes I have them both connected,
    I'll check out the forum you mentioned
    Thank you

9. Ph.Steve

Ph.Steve Thread Starter

Figured out what was wrong. All my components are fine. I bought a paracord sata cable, didn't realize the pins were different from the sata cable that came with the power supply, it was causing a short through the whole system. Using the sata that came with the power supply now, it all seems to be running okay
    Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You did well to find that problem. Glad you fixed it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice