1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New mobo,cpu,ram gives blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wheretolivenxt, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wheretolivenxt

wheretolivenxt Thread Starter

I just upgraded my motherboard processor and memory and i am plugging my monitor into the onboard graphics. When i start up the computer, i do not get a signal to my monitor. I cant see anything on the screen, no splash screen, no POST or beeps.

The hard drives are spinning, fans everything seems to start up but im just not getting any kind of response, video or audio.

Everything worked with my previous motherboard and AGP video card. I was wondering if this could be due to my power supply or just a faulty mobo itself. I couldnt think of anything else to try except for revert back to my old mboard to install the drivers then reinstall the new mobo. As i was doing this i realized it should of ran POST at least if that was the problem.

Now all i have setup in the computer is mobo, cpu/heatsink, 1stick 2gb OCZ platinum 1066mhz ram, primary hard drive, and 2 system fans.

PLEASE HELP!

2. Megabite

Megabite

If your looking for the Operating System you will have to do a fresh install of the OS on new motherboard

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

(Added this: Your operating system if it was XP, will no longer be valid, That is why the previous poster offered for you to reinstall Windows...but, you should still be able to POST

***Unless you have any needed files backed up to other drives or media you stand a chance of losing files!****

XP checks it's hardware environment every time it starts up, don't expect to be able to boot right up if the hard drive still has a copy of XP installed and you try to boot from it.

Do you have a user manual for the new motherboard?

What make and model is the new one?

Are you pretty sure you have set any jumpers that may need to be set on the board manually? Some boards have one or more, some boards don't have any.

Turn Off the computer and UNplug the main power wire from any surge strip or outlet....

Usually most boards do have this jumper: Look near the round coin cell battery for CLR and NRML.... make sure the jumper is over 1&2 pins , (not on 2 and 3 pins.)

Next:
    Clearing the CMOS settings:
    The 3-pin CLR jumper allows you to clear the date, time, and system setup parameter memories in CMOS. The onboard button cell battery powers the RAM data in CMOS, including system setup information.
    CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.

Turn off the PC and unplug the power cord.
    Move the CLR jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3 (clear CMOS).

Then, press the Power button and hold it in for 10 seconds or so.....

Put the jumper back onto pins 1 & 2.

Plug power cord back in and start it up.....press whatever it tells you to press to Enter Setup (This is the system BIOS/ CMOS) set the date and time

everything else, you will have to use the user manual to know what to set

Some things automatically are, each board may be different.

4. wheretolivenxt

I'm not looking for the OS to start, what im looking for is the startup splash screen so i can go to the bios, or do a POST, or some kind of error beep or something.

BTW its a gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP and an amd x2 7750 kuma 2.7ghz.
    1 2gb stick of ocz platinum 1066 ram
    300gb 7200 seagate HDD
    This is all that i have connected to it right now... and yes i have the heatsink on with arctic silver 5 compound.

EDIT: this was a response to the first poster, the second poster responded while i was typing this

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read and followed the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If you follow the troubleshooting guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

6. wheretolivenxt

I figured it out. that did help lead me to the problem... by looking in the manual for were the cmos jumper was i found out that i had never plugged in the 2x2 12v power cord along with the 2x12 one into the mobo.

Unfortuneatly i ran into another problem. I did get a POST out of it but once it was about to start up windows it just shut off. i waited a sec then powered on and it started post then shut off. So im pretty sure its just my psu now. 380W is def not enough for this mobo even without any video cards in it.

7. Byteman

Yes, we realize that..... checking the jumpers is one step,

checking cabling is another......clearing CMOS is another etc

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

9. Byteman

Hi, Probably XP has checked and found itself not in the old environment so has shut itself off.

Any files you need still on the drive? Get them now.....

Boot with the system CD and reinstall it all.

Weeellll....if you used the wrong CPU that would do it! I should have been reading more!

10. wheretolivenxt

I was planning on upgrading windows anyways... im already prepared for that. I just wanted to get it to do POST and at least make sure i can startup to the point that i could do the reinstall.

If the processor is not on the list does that really mean there is no chance that it would work. I figured that if this mboard could run the new phenom x4's and be AM3 ready it could at least run a slightly older athlon x2.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not an old cpu, it was just released prior to the phenom II's.

If the bios does not have the microcode to configure the cpu correctly ie multiplier, vcore, etc, it may or may not work. You can hope the board maker releases a bios to support that cpu however that may be a while.

FWIW if the system shuts down after 30 seconds or so, that indicates overheating of the cpu ie hsf not installed correctly. There is a difference between the system shutting down and just having windows restart.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From what I understand, gigabyte has been having some real problems with the bios upgrades for the phenom II's.

One other poster here had problems with a gigabyte bios update to run a new 940 phenom II. The bios update disabled the onboard lan. When he flashed back to the old bios, the lan worked however the cpu was unstable.

13. wheretolivenxt

It wasnt a windows restart, it just turned off completely before windows even started loading. Basically it went from the POST screen after it was finished and went to blank before windows load then it just turned off. To start back up i had to flip the switch on the back of the PSU again. and when it started again, it went to the beginning of post then just turned off again.

Im pretty sure i have the heat sink on there right, everything is secured and tightened down and it has arctic silver 5 on it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice