New Mobo/CPU/RAM has got me down.. please help ASAP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kmarquis

So I know enough to get me into real trouble and here I am. Got some time to help me get my PC up and running? Pretty Please!

I have a new Mobo (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum), new cpu (AMD 64 3200), new RAM (2 gig.. yippee). I did the hardware install and that's where the trouble started.

What I have done...
- Installed Windows XP Pro (after having to disconnect everything except my master hard drive and master DVD/CD drive)
- Installed some of the utiltities that came with the mobo

What I can't get to work...
1. Connectivity to my home router
- When trying to re-install my D-Link Wireless PCI adapter, the system won't recognize the card even though the adapter power lights say it's working.
- After giving up on the wireless card, I tried connecting directly to my router via Ethernet cable and the onboard LAN port, which I also can't get to work.

Help PLEASE.. via online chat.. I have yahoo messenger running right now (12:30p PST on Monday) on the iMac sitting next to the PC in question.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

pugmug

Banned
Try going to start menu,settings or control panel,network connections,new connections wizard and run it.Plug your stuff in first before running the wizard.Get back to us with results.

kmarquis

I've run the wizards and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is.

More detail...
I installed the MSI Mobo utilties including "Digicell", "MSI Live Update", and "Core Center". I've also installedthe drivers "NVIDIA nForce3 System Drivers" including GART, SMBus, Ethernet & IDE drivers, Realtek Gigabyte Ethernet Driver, and Realtek Audio Driver.
In my device manager/network adapters I see...
1394 Net Adapter
1394 Net Adapter #2
1394 Net Adapter #3
(has "!" in front) D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E) #2
MAC Bridge Miniport
Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabyte Ethernet NIC

kmarquis

My PC lives in a nearby room from the router which is why I need the wireless connection to work eventually (heck, it worked before I put in the new MOBO in). I've temporarily moved the PC into the same room as the router to try to get the PC working thru Ethernet so I can get online and at least perform a Windows Update.. not sure how that will help but it's something. When I created a "LAN or High-Speed Internet" connection using Ethernet, it says "Network cable unplugged". The connection is using the "Realtek ATL8169/8110 Family Gigabyte Ethernet NIC". The back panel has two Enet RJ-45 ports and I tried both. argh! :cool:

pugmug

Banned
Something is not right with your mobo.Why did you have to disconnect everything but master hd and cd drive when installing wiodows XP?

kmarquis

Good question... because the mobo was having a difficult time (stalling) when it was identifying the IDE drives.. when I unplugged the "extra" drives, it worked. But that's the least of my problems now.. that's working.. I need to get my wireless card working, get online, then get my slave "data" drive up and running.. no big whup :cool:

pugmug

Banned
Try this.Go back to network connections,right click local area connection,click repair.

kmarquis

Good suggestion.. I did it with no success. I kinda have given up on "self-medicating". I dropped the PC off at the repair shop this morning and hope it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed. I'll let you know what the results are.

i'm tending to agree with pugmug, that mobo just aint right, if your ob lan doesnt even work there is something wrong, get a different mobo, if this is HW related you could be spending a lot of time for nothing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online