New Mobo Do i need Windows 10?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tryonus

Hey all, It been a very long time since i posted here and i Hope ppl are doing ok.
I got a New Processor Motherboard and ram i had install them, unfortually.. i ran in to an issue... hoping someone might be able to double check my findings.... When i load up the OS, Windows 7 64bit. My Keyboard and Mouse will not work.... But when i load up the BIOS they work fine... i have tried the USB configs in the bios enabling etc.... but regardless which USB connection on the back panel or front they will not work... 2.0 and 3.0 when windows loads.... I Don't have a old ps/2 keyboard or mouse to try... So after looking stuff up on my Phone... it seems that Win 7 does not support the Processor or USB 3.0 connections and i need too... (Shudders) upgrade (Shudders) to windows 10 (stops vomit in throat)
I couldn't even try to re-install windows from my CD as No Keyboard / Mouse to control.
Am i correct in thinking this?
CPU is Ryzen 7 2700x New Motherboard is MSI Gaming Pro x470
I have had to re-installed my old motherboard etc back into the computer.

Thank you for any help and time.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
New Mobo Do i need Windows 10?
According to its support site, the MSI X470 GAMING PRO motherboard supports Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit.
So after looking stuff up on my Phone... it seems that Win 7 does not support the Processor
According to its support site, the AMD RYZEN 7 2700X processor supports only Windows 10 64-bit.

Someone else here can correct me if I'm wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

crjdriver

If you note the asterisk; it says operating support varies by mfg. If win7 is listed as a supported operating system, then it should work. Do understand that you are not installing win7 on a nvme type drive unless you have a pretty high level of skill. You should be able to install win7 using a dvd install disk and a ps2 mouse.

FWIW win10 is a better operating system than wi7. In fact win10 is probably the best os MS has released since win2k.

Up to you; either install win10 and be done or put up with numerous problems installing win7. At the very least, you are going to have to create a custom install dvd with the usb drivers slipstreamed.

You're also still loading the drivers for the old system board! If the chip controlling the USB connections changes, Windows is still using the old hardware and doesn't know how to run the new ports. Try booting into Safe Mode (hit F8 a bunch of times before Windows starts to load) and see if you can get it to work that way.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
This is his first thread in almost 10 years, and it doesn't appear he's going to reply back to this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------

managed

Allan
There is a workaround for this. You have to download the correct chipset drivers for your motherboard from AMD and put them onto the hard drive with 7 on it, then put a batch file into the Windows Startup folder that runs the drivers SETUP.EXE file. This installs the drivers the next time you boot into 7.

For your motherboard you would need the AMD drivers for Windows 7 64 bit from here :- https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

The method is explained fully under the heading 'Windows 7 USB Driver Install 2.2: Set Drivers To Install at Boot' here :-
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

Also to enable Windows 7 updates you need to install this :- https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/releases/tag/v1.0.1.201

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online