Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New mobo, new OS?

Solved 
458 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
I just found out that my mobo is shot. Just to be clear, when I get a new mobo, I have to buy a new key for Windows right?

#7 ·
So, if its a branded pc I would have to reinstall.
I don't know if you have to reinstall or not but if it's a digital license and the motherboard is from the manufacturer for that machine then I believe it's possible to reactivate it provided you've linked it to your Microsoft account. Here's a link for more information on that:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

since I built it myself I wont have to reinstall?
Again, we're talking about activation (not reinstalling) and it depends on what type of license you purchased and used to activate it initially. OEM licenses can be purchased and generally will work but if used in a self-build it's a violation of the license agreement because they can only be sold with a computer. If you used a retail license then you could continue to use it on a new motherboard.

#11 ·
My understanding of the OEM EULA is that the oem lic is valid with the original hardware ie motherboard OR the designated replacement motherboard. Since you are the system builder, you can designate any board you want as the replacement motherboard.
This sometimes requires a call to microsoft to explain what you did [other times it just activated] Once you call ms, they either give you an activation code or a different key.

#12 ·
My understanding of the OEM EULA is that the oem lic is valid with the original hardware ie motherboard OR the designated replacement motherboard. Since you are the system builder, you can designate any board you want as the replacement motherboard.
This sometimes requires a call to microsoft to explain what you did [other times it just activated] Once you call ms, they either give you an activation code or a different key.
Not true, in the past oem could not be use on a replacement motherboard unless it is the very same model or the model is no longer available. It specifically said this in the oem license. At the time, you could call and be activated whether or not you were in violation of the oem license. However, some users found they lost the activation when they failed the genuine test.

that said, some thing have changed regarding win10, Microsoft muddle things so bad it is impossible to get clarification. Fortunately there is no longer a genuine test.

#13 ·
This is quoted from the Microsoft OEM EULA found at the following link:

https://www.google.ca/url?q=https:/...FjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1stPeUqPdTbxU-Vx2RsQZS

Generally an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer, except the motherboard, and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM Windows Desktop Operating System software.

If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM Windows Desktop Operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.