1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New mobo, now Win98 can't see printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilk, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilk

ilk Thread Starter

:confused:

My resources were dropping, so
    last week I installed an additional 512 Mb in my Asus P4/PE mobo, and fried it, a first for me. So I replaced the motherboard with another Asus, a P4P800, cause I didn't want to have to reinstall all my drivers etc. Well I had to anyway. Also had to reinstall Win98SE, on account of windows couldn't see my CD drives any more. Now, everythings fine (even my DSL) except Windows can't see my two printers.

LPT1: HPIIP
    LPT2: (off a NetMos PCI port card) Epson Photo Stylus EX.

The HP test page comes out garbled one line of gibberish/page.
    The Epson gets a (There was a problem connecting to LPT2:...)error.

I went for the HP first. rechecked cables, changed port protocols in the (AMI) bios from ECP, to EPP, to Normal. Deleted printer and reinstalled it. Deleted LPT1: and let windows find it on reboot (It did). Tried Fixit Utilities port test (passed). Deleted all references to LPT1: in registry and let Windows recreate them. All no luck.
    I ran the Windows printer troubleshooter, and tried printing from boot to dos selection, also no luck. I haven't tried printing from startup disk boot.

Printer Self tests fine.

I haven't touched the Epson yet.

Also, I haven't switched the two printers on the ports ( although now that I think about it that may do the trick. Garbled data on an HP means a bad driver)
    I don't want to do a reg restore because the older registries all reference the old mobo, so I think it's a recipe for disaster. I suspect I may need to reinstall WIN98 again !?! but am a little nervous because two printers on completely different port architectures aren't working.

Could Windows be seeing LPT1: as LPT2: ie. reversing the ports internally?

Any advice is appreciated

(There was a post on a similar issue in 7/25/2002, but no resolution ever recorded)

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

If it was my system I would format the hard drive and do a clean install of windows 98. You probably have a lot of junk left over from the old system clogging things up. Did you also install the new motherboard drivers?

How much memory do you have installed? Its my understanding that windows doesn't handle memory over 512 very well. I would stay with 512 and find out why you had your resources dropping.

3. ilk

ilk Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I discovered a substantial error on my part. (This is what comes from sitting down to work after a full day job and putting two kids to bed) Seems it is possible to set the mobo Parallel port and the PCI parallel port to the same LPT1:. Windows doesn't complain.

Anyway, here's where it gets confusing. I pulled the card, and still couldn't get a connection to the Epson or the HP through the on board port. BUT- when I disabled the mobo port and used the card, LPT1 worked. Then I redefined the mobo port as LPT2 (port 278, IRQ 5). but guess what. It still doesn't work. So I've got one printer working, the Epson. but the more "well behaved" one , the HP, is still printing pages of gibberish. I'm starting to think the mobo parallel port is malfunctioning. If so what else could be going wrong with this board?

Any thoughts?

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Can you get the HP printer working ok off the other port? It should work from either. If not you could have a bad cable or bad drivers. Check that the Irqs for the printers are only being used by them.

5. ilk

ilk Thread Starter

Yes The HP works fine off the PCI card port. With any cable.

If I pull the card altogether I still can't get either printer to work off the onboard port. This is why I'm thinking its the motherboard.
    Do you think there's any point to trying to upgrade the BIOS? (I think not)

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

No upgrading the bios probably won't help but you can double check the bios to see if the port is enabled and if there are any setting there which may affect it. Does it show up in device manager as working properly and Did you also install the new motherboard drivers that came on the Cd with it? You could try going through the parallel port setting again (ECP) once more incase you missed something the first time through. Finally the port on the motherboard could be bad as you suggested. Is the board used? Good luck.

7. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

The PCI Card port works with either of the printers. Correct?
    one way to check the parallel port on the mother board is a direct print command from DOS.
    Try this
    When the computer is starting up, keep tapping teh F8 button to get the advanced start up options. Choose Command Prompt Only.

At the C:\> prompt, type (with no spaces):
    Dir>LPT1 (press enter)

The printer should print out a list of teh Directories in C:

If it prints in this mode, then the printer port is working and so is teh printer. if it does not print in windows then the drivers need to be reinstalled.

Another try is printign from a DOS bootable floppy
    Use a DOS bootable diskette, restart.
    At the A:\> prompt, type (without using spaces):
    dir>lpt1 (press enter)

If the printer prints contents of A:\ the parallel port is fine. If not then the port may have a problem.

you can download bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com

let us know how it turns out.

~Gg~

8. ilk

ilk Thread Starter

Everyone, thanks for the advice.

Indeed, it was the motherboard. I did try the print direct from DOS, no go. Luckily I had bought the board from a dealer in a bricks and mortar establishment (Compusa, would you believe?). They replaced it without batting an eye.

I put everything back together and voila, no problem. (There was a dicey moment when LPT1: seemed totally dead, turns out the cable had pulled half way off the printer.

9. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

Good to know we could help you out. take care Ilk.

~Gg~

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice