1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New mobo=possible problems?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hillian, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

i ordered a better motherboard yesterday and its a step up from what i have. i have 2 sata II 80GB hdd's. Since im changing my mobo, will that cuase problems with my hdd's?

2. AvvY

AvvY

It shouldn't cause any problems with your drives, the only thing to be aware of is that if one of those drives has Windows installed on it and you intend to continue using it, you should seriously consider a fresh install of Windows. The new mobo will use a whole swag of different drives and you will want to avoid conflicts, also, most likely WinXP will have a hissy fit over such a major change in hardware that it may ask for reactivation.

Just back up your data, put in the new mobo, reinstall windows and you're set.

3. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

how do i go about backing up my data...i got like 30gb of stuff i need on this hdd

4. AvvY

AvvY

Either try and shift it to your oher HDD's, use an external hdd, or use a stack of DVD-r's.

5. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

since im running sata...techincally i have 2 160 gb sata drives that back each other up if i understand my drives right...if this is the case,can i just do a fresh install of windows onto just on of the drives and keep the same info on the other drive?

6. AvvY

AvvY

If you already have it setup that one drive mirrors the other, then you should be fine. If for example you have a RAID setup and have it mirroring (I think that's RAID 1) or if you are using some sort of backup software you will be fine. That's if this is the situation.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!