1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New mobo & processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rez410, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

Hi,
    In the near future I plan on replacing my P4 2.66 ghz (socket 478) with a AMD 64 3200+(socket 939). Which means I also will be replacing my mobo. Will I be able to use my current HD with XP or will I have to reinstall everything?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The best way is to do a clean install. This will give you the most stable / smoothest running system. It is possible to do a mb swap without doing a clean install, however you should have the full xp cd. If you plan on doing this and using a recovery type CD that came with a pre-built system, it will probably not work along with not being legal.

Post back if you want detailed instructions on how to do this. Note you must have the full MS version of the os; not a recovery CD.

3. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

ok currently I have xp media center edition w/ only the recovery cd. I do have a full MS XP pro version (legal) . I guess I would have to use 3rd party software to have the media center since I will lose MCE right? yes i could use some tips on a clean install.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you just want to install xp pro, then boot with the xp cd [cd set as first boot device in the bios]
    If you want your hd partitioned into more than one partition, now would be the time to do so. Create one or more partitions; format with ntfs and setup will load the os.

If your xp pro cd does not have sp2, I would think about making a slipstreamed cd with sp2. It will save you a lot of time.

The reason that you cannot legally swap boards and use the existing os is that when you buy a pre-built system with windows installed, the os is bound to the original hardware. Since you own xp pro [full version] it is not a problem.

FWIW MCE does not really do much more than pro; at least that is what I have seen.

5. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

yea the only reason I wanted MCE is for my TV tuner card.So i could record watch/record tv shows. But i guess I could use another party's app for that. So when I boot from xp pro it will reformat and wipe my current hard drive correct? I guess I should start backing up all my important files.

ps i have an sp2 disc from MS that i ordered before i had dsl last year

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice