1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New mobo wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thecaravanman, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

I bought a motherboard off ebay, came bundled with a celeron 2.8 and 512mb ram. It was not new, but was advertised as working fine.

It will turn on and POST, and it recognises my IDE hard drive with XP installed on it, but it will not boot it. It gets to the screen saying "Windows did not shut down properly" and asking you to choose to start normally, or in safe mode etc. Which ever option you choose it always simply restarts as soon as you select one.

Also, I used a different, empty, hard drive and tried to install XP from my CD onto it. It will format the disc etc, but when it reboots after formatting (as part of the normal installation procedure) some garbage is displayed.

So it would appear that the board is having trouble reading from the hard drives.

I have tried everything I can find in the BIOS, as well as trying it with different IDE cables, on both IDE ports and with the drive set to master, slave and cable select. Have tried it with and without other drives (such as CD) present.

One thing I'm not sure on, is that this board supports SATA, whilst I'm trying to boot IDE drives. Will the board only boot SATA drives maybe?

Board is: Fujitsu Siemens D1561 There's also a manual for the board there.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot swap boards and expect xp to boot.
    It is possible to do a board swap without a clean install provided you follow the correct procedure however this starts with the old board still installed.

In short you need to clean install windows. Note if your system came with an OEM ver of windows or it came pre-loaded, you will need to buy another license / copy of windows. The OEM ver is tied to the original hardware; your lic lives and dies with the original board.

3. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

I have swapped boards many times, including with this particular hard drive containing XP.

Anyway, as I said, I have attempted a fresh install of XP and it gets to the stage where it reboots before installation, after formatting HD, and only get jumbled garbage and some odd command prompt.

No concerns as to licence being tied to hardware, I've used this CD for numerous installs without problems.

As in this stage of XP installation, the hard drive has been loaded with files to begin the installation, the PC essentially boots to the hard drive to continue the installation from the CD.

As it at this stage it is failing again, I am thinking that there is some problem reading from the HD beyond a certain point. This is with multiple drives which are known to be working.

Cannot think for any reason for this other than the board being faulty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice