1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Modem Installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NormanMcMillan, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NormanMcMillan

NormanMcMillan Thread Starter

I have trouble with my new modem. It installs correctly but when I try to get my e-mail or the internet I get a message that the modem is disconnected. I have checked in modems which show Icons for my old and new modems. On checking properties on both Icons I get the following results: Old modem connected to COMM3 new modem connected to COMM4. I used the same PCI slot as I had the old modem in. How do I go about installing the new modem to access my e-mail and the net. My OS system is Windows XP home edition.

Regards
    Norman McMillan
    e-mail: [email protected]

2. $teve

$teve

hmmmm! did you by any chance install the new before un-installing the old?
    you may have to un-install both,re-boot and let windows find your new modem.

3. NormanMcMillan

NormanMcMillan Thread Starter

Thank you
    You are quite correct "I did not uninstall my old Modem software before I fitted and tried the new one". I will try as you say and see if that does the trick. Once again thank you for your swift reply.
    Regards
    Norman

4. $teve

$teve

no problem norman,ive done the same thing myself.......post back with your results.;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice