1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Modem - "No Answer"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mixx941, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I posted a thread about a modem not functioning properly a few weeks ago, and I found a cheap deal on modems this week, so I picked a couple up today. The thread for the other modem is here.

I installed the new one, a BestData 56HP. The drivers went in just fine. Now, instead of "No Dial Tone" like with the previous modem, I get "No Answer". I've tried all access numbers available, still the same result.

I hooked up a phone to the "Phone" side of the modem and made sure I got a dial tone. The dial tone comes across on line 1, but NOT on line 2.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Mark

2. winbob

winbob

You said, "The dial tone comes across on line 1, but NOT on line 2."

Do you mean that this is a two line phone connection? That may be a problem with a Modem?

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes, every jack in the house is a two line phone jack. I don't know if it's a problem or not with a modem. I haven't used a modem for many many years, and back then I didn't have two lines, so I am not sure.

I'm building this PC for someone for occasional web surfing and emailing, so they only need a dialup connection...but I need to set up and test the internet here before I ship the computer to them, as they have no idea how to set anything up.

-Mark

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is the modem actually dialling out? Listen on a phone that is also connected to the line that the modem uses.

Have the modem dial the number of your Line #2 (when the modem is connected to Line #1), and see if it actually does ring out and back in?

5. winbob

winbob

Kiwi,

In the US, a two line Phone only has one line coming out of the wall. The Line's Plug should be different than a single I believe???

The phone instrument has to be able to handle the different wiring/service, which I do not believe a standard dial Modem can do. :confused:

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

OK, thanks winbob.

Here, a 2 line system is 2 separate discrete analogue lines.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice