New monitor and weird resolution! Please help me!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

simbo

Hi. I've just got a new 20 inch LCD monitor for christmas, but when I plugged it in, it said "Out Of Range", so I plugged my old one back in again and changed the resolution, and tried again, and it works.

But the resolution has to be at 800 X 600, or 1088 X 612, or 640 X 480 etc. so everything is massive. I've re-sized all the windows, but the toolbars, and Start Menu and things I can't do anything about. By the way my resolution before was 1024 X 768.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to make things a bit smaller and clearer? Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance, simbo

You need to go in and check you grapic card drivers, display settings your problem lies here

In your monitor instructions it should tell what resolution to set for the monitor, you then need to see if your graphics supports this

simbo

I've updated my graphics card drivers, and that's done nothing, and there is nothing in the instructions either. simbo

You are saving by going into control panel> display> settings>screen resolution you cannot adjust your resolution?

simbo

No I can adjust my resolution, but it then says on my monitor "Out Of Range". simbo

Go to settings in display click advanced on settings tab click adapter tab then click list all modes select the res ect> HOPE? if this dont help there should be a teck support #for your new screen you can contact?

simbo

No that didn't do anything. Do you think it's just the monitor can only work with smaller resolutions? simbo

simbo

The make is UMC, and the model number it says is J20/1212G. Thanks, simbo

The "out of range" normally refers to the refresh rate being set to high.

LCD monitors do not need a high refresh rate, set it to 60Hz or 70 Hz max and all should be OK.

The monitor must also only be run at it's "native" resolution, that should be mentioned in the supplied literature, but likely to be 1280 x 1024 or higher.

go to CTX monitors go to support they have answers to your problem, hope you resolv this ? let know

simbo

The refresh rate is set to 60Hz and I've tried loads of different resolutions, incuding 1280 X 1024, but it still says out of range. I've got something on here which lets me set my own resolutions and things could I do anything with that?

What's CTX Monitors?

Thanks, simbo

I think we are going to need a bit info on the make and model, all I have managed to find with the UMC brand are LCD TVs which as far as I can tell are not compatable with computers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online