Solved New monitor hook-up issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Supersearover

I just bought a new monitor. It is a BenQ 24" monitor (Had great reviews online). When I first took it out of the box, I hooked it up to my Laptop PC via HDMI. The monitor displayed "No Cable Connected!". The monitor then proceeded to stay a blank (black) screen. I went ahead and tried to diagnose the issue myself by looking into the display settings on my laptop. The setting for the display were set to "Duplicate". Being stupid, I decided to change it to "Second screen only" to see if it would show up on my new monitor under that setting. Not only did it not work (expected), it also made it to where I can no longer have it hooked up to my laptop without both my laptop screen and the monitor screen blank (black). I am hoping there is a global hotkey for switching the screen back to where I can see my UI on my laptop while it is plugged into the monitor. My second issue is the monitor itself not displaying. This I think is due to the resolution being higher than my laptop.. In that case I would like to know what I can do because under my display settings I do not see an option to make the display higher. My laptop's resolution is 1366x768 and the monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080. If I can get the resolution to change while the laptop is unplugged from the monitor (either lower the resolution on the monitor or raise the resolution on the laptop), I think this could fix the issue of the blank display on the new monitor (as it is set to Second screen only) therefore I could switch it back to Duplicate or even better, what I want, Extended Display.

P.S. It should not be an issue of my HDMI cable as far as I am aware. Because, I am able to (still) hook up my Laptop to my smart T.V via the same cable.

Supersearover

On my monitor, although you kind of have to guess which button is which, I had to switch the input to HDMI. Lol.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Oh right, well done. ;)

(if you're sure it's fixed please mark this thread 'Solved')

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online