1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new monitor, muted colors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iggi3, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iggi3

Iggi3 Thread Starter

I have a brand new 17 in. compaq coloreal 7500 monitor that I just bought after my old monitor went out. But the colors look slightly muted with the new monitor. When it was being hooked up and the computer was restarted I got an error message that said that the display driver needed to be updated and that I could go to the Windows Update website to download the needed driver updates. But when I would try that it would say that there were no updates to be installed and in the control panel I checked my display driver and put in my Windows Me installation disk and it said that the most up to date driver was installed.
    Also, right after I hooked it up it kept resetting the display properties to 256 colors and the screen area to 720 x 480, not always at the same time. It did that about 3 or 4 times in a 30 min. time frame and I had to reboot several times. Finally, I manually turned the computer off then back on, let the scan disk run and it stopped resetting the display properties but the colors are still "off". They just aren't as vibrant as they are supposed to be and look faded out a little bit.
    I use my computer for photos more that anything and it is irritating to say the least not to be able to tell if the picture color quality is right or not.
    And I have tried using the settings on the monitor and that doesn't help at all. And it isn't the monitor because this is the 2nd one I have tried, (I got the display driver error message with that one too) I bought one and took it back and got a more expensive one (this one) thinking the other one just wasn't nice enough when the color wasn't vibrant. Turned out this one looks exactly the same.
    Any suggestions?

2. dai

dai

go to your video card manufacturers web site and d/l the latest drivers for your card
    delete the the old drivers and install the new ones

3. Iggi3

Iggi3 Thread Starter

Do I do that by just going into the device manager and deleting them?

4. dai

dai

yes delete the card and it will take the drivers with it

5. Iggi3

Iggi3 Thread Starter

I went to the driver website and here is the information I got pasted below. I can't tell if it means that I should keep the driver from the installation CD or download the alternate? Should I try deleted my driver and installing from the reinstalling from the installation CD? And what the heck is Open GL?
    Thanks, Iggi3

Recommended Driver - 4.10.00.3000 (details)
    Microsoft-Supplied
    Included on the Windows ME Installation CD

The RAGE PRO driver included with Windows ME does NOT support OpenGL. This driver can be used with the ATI Multimedia Center software listed below. The ATI DVD Player is not supported.

Alternate Driver - 4.13.2655
    J5.30.1-B02
    Not WHQL Certified
    Posted April 2, 2002
    This display driver supports Windows ME, Windows 98 SE, and Windows 98. DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL support are included.

This driver can be used with the ATI Multimedia Center and DVD Player software listed below.

Alternate Driver for Video For Windows Support

If you are using an ALL-IN-WONDER PRO and require Video For Windows capture support an alternate driver/software combination is required.

6. dai

dai

try the alternate driver

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

What model ATI card do you have?

The easiest thing to do is install the Compaq monitor drivers(instead of the Win generic driver) then remove all traces of the Ati card, reboot and direct Windows to the NEWEST downloaded ATI drivers/software for WinME(or 98) and install. Disable any Anti-virus/Firewall apps running in background when installing/un-installing drivers/software. Get the ATI drivers from the ATI website. If those don't work, then get the video drivers from the card manufacturers' website.

8. Iggi3

Iggi3 Thread Starter

I can't find anything on the Compaq monitor about drivers. (Can you tell yet that I have no idea what I am doing?) I am going to try the alternate driver at the ATI site. Do i delete the old driver before or after I install the new one? If I delete it before I install the new one will I be able to see my screen? I don't know what is going to happen. The last time I deleted something when I didn't know what I was doing my computer was in the shop for a week and I lost everything on my hard drive. :eek:( lol That's a true story.

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

10. dai

dai

delete first reboot pressing f8 and from the options that come up choose vga mode let windows reinstall the card and then install the drivers
    what is the m/b chipset i.e. sis,via.intel

11. Iggi3

Iggi3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and for the time you both spent but I think I am just too computer illiterate for this. After the last big boo boo I am scared and I don't understand enough about what I am doing. I just don't understand why with my old monitor the colors were georgeous and vibrant and then it went POW! smoke came out the back, screen went black, new, better, more expensive monitor and it's not that the color isn't vibrant it's that they are "off" the blue isn't the right blue and the red isn't as red as it should be, etc. I don't know what to do. I am too scared that I am going to ruin something again. But thanks so much for trying to help me out. I am sure it would work if I had someone who knew what they were doing to follow the instructions. lol
    Thanks again.

12. dai

dai

we all started the same with little or no knowledge,have you a friend who can come over and help you until you gain more confidence, the worst that can happen installing software is you have to reload your operating system.
    as your computer told you it was your display driver see if you can get someone to show you how to do it
    let us know how you get on
    and have a happy birthday

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

I have to leave for awhile. I'll be back later and if no-one has walked you through this maybe you'll be ready for us to do it. I suggest you read the info in the link about the ATI driver install/uninstall I provided you and then when the actual driver swap is made things will SEEM more easily understood. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Iggi3

Iggi3 Thread Starter

No, actually I have more experience than any of my friends. THAT is saaad. But now I don't get the message about the driver anymore and it says that the most up to date driver is already installed and there isn't a yellow exclamation point next to the Rage Pro driver info in the device manager. Would it help to reinstall my operating system over the top of this one, I have done that before. Do you know what I mean? Could that possibly even make a difference in the display? It doesn't show that there is any kind of conflict going on anymore. Could it help if I ran ScanDisk in the Thourough mode?
    Thanks for the happy BD. I turned the big 4-0 yesterday.

15. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the LAST resort ever. Right-click on the Desktop(computer screen background), click properties, click Settings Tab(Far right at top), under Colors tab on left-Click True Color(32 Bit), Set screen area at 1024x768, click advanced tab, click Monitor tab, set refresh to 85 Hertz, Apply and close out. Run Disk Cleanup And Defrag. I'll be back late tonight. If things are okay for now and you want to wait to go into the Display Properties until later, fine. Later..........

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice