1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NEW MONITOR -- Now WORD2000 looks strange

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gary R, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Recently got a 19” LCD Monitor (Neovo F419), and ran into a problem with way Word2000 looks.
    I usually set all margins on the standard 8.5x11” paper at one inch (the “Gutter”—whatever that is—is set at zero inches), and between the right margin scrollbar and the edge of the text there is a gap of about 5.25 inches. Is such a space normal with this size and larger monitors?

Fonts generally used are Bookman Old Style (Much easier to read than Times New Roman), Georgia, and Times New Roman—all at font size 12.

Currently running monitor at 1024x768, 32-bit color, & 60 Hz Refresh, though I can use 75Hz., have tried it at the full 1280x1024 setting, but desktop & Word2000 fonts look like they’re about size 6 (maybe less?) so I use 1024x768.

2. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

Under Tools > Options > View tab, Outline and Normal options, check "Wap to Window".

Is that what you mean?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Running the monitor at lower resolution will result in a fuzzy display.

On an LCD monitor, the pixels are "harware", and when you ask them to "scale" to a lower resolution it results in a quandry as to how to display a pixel. On a CRT a pixel is analogue, so it can be any arbitrary size within the phospor dot capability, on an LCD it can only have a pixel ON or OFF, not half a pixel or 1.5 pixels etc. 1280 /1024 = 1.25 pixels needed to display 1 pixel. That can't be done without a lot of dithering, with some ON and some OFF, giving fuzziness.

Set your system to large fonts and run the monitor at it's true resolution for the best quality display.

4. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

TonyJollans Not sure..... I thought there was a way to do away with the extra space without having to redo all the pagebreak's.

--------

kiwiguy How do you set the desktop fonts to large size, and how does it affect--if any--other IE5.5, or Outlook Express 5.5 text & way it looks onscreen.

This is my first LCD, didn't have room at all for a 60+ pound CRT, the old 15" (13" viewing area) monitor just *did* fit with enough room for the keyboard, & about 5 inches between it & the edge of the desk :)

By the way, I'm running it as Analog --- monitor will do DVI, and Analog.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unsure about older versions of Windows, but in later ones it's under Control Panel - Display - Settings - Advanced.

It matters not that you are running as VGA (Analogue), the analogue signal is converted and mapped to the digital display in the monitor, and you cannot display "part" of a pixel as above, its all or nothing. If you wanted 1024 x 768 then a smaller monitor would have been better.

I run dual 19" LCD's, they are positively horrible at lower resolutions. The larger fonts will help you, but I quickly became accustomed to the smaller (very crisp) fonts.

The page problems you describe with Word don't sound like a monitor problem, your comment on "redoing page breaks" is also odd. That should not happen.

Does running the monitor at the recommended settings fix anything?

6. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

Gary - Changing the Wrap to Window setting has nothing to do with page breaks (or any other document content) - it just affects how Word uses the space available on the screen to display documents.

KiwiGuy - very interesting what you say about CRT vs LCD monitors. I hadn't realised that difference existed. Thank you.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I have a 19" and 17" (1280x1024 native resolution) LCDs - that I run at 1024x768, because the larger "display" is just easier to read and use... IMO.
    As far as I'm concerned - it looks really great.
    I did find that the 75 hz refresh rate looks better.

The Crisp text can be a little anoying to read - and I use Clear type tuning from M$ to adjust the readability of the text.
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

Maybe, 20 years ago I would have been happy with a bigger display that displayed eveything smaller... but now, I like the 1024x768 display mode.

The only problem I see .... Your LCD monitor is a 5:4 aspect ratio display.
    The only 5:4 aspect ratio setting you probably have is 1280x1024.

If you choose the 1024x768 display setting - This is a 4:3 aspect ratio mode.
    A 4:3 aspect ratio display sent to a 5:4 monitor means that a perfect circle or square will no longer display as a circle or square - because the display will look 6% thinner... or taller.
    The only time I notice this, is when messing with graphics and I don't consider this a problem since I know the display data is correct.

I think this is a problem with all 5:4 LCDs monitors regardless of physical size.
    The old CRTs were a 4:3 ratio display.

Anyone know how to install a 1024x819 (5:4) display setting in my drivers ??

8. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Been experimenting with the Display properties > appearance controls, & haven't hit the right setting yet to where desktop fonts and those for the various programs I have are readable at 1280x1024 without having to get about 5 or 6 inches from screen :)

When using the 1024x768 setting, Desktop text when in capitals is easy to read, but the small ones take a bit of squinting -- changing the contrast might help, I suppose. At 800x600 with old Monitor, and at 1024x768 with this one, I have Internet Explorer 5.50 set at "Medium" text size.

A quirk of some sort I encountered 2 or 3 times while experimenting with display settings was that everything on the screen when using IE5.5 would shift to the right far enough that the minimize, restore & exit buttons were offscreen, so had to reset the computer to get things back to normal -- but didn't do it with the Windows Desktop; desktop would be fine, but the IE5.5 screen would be shifted.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Did you try the large text size in display properties ?
    For your text size adjustment - try holding the CRT key then "dialing" your visable text size with the mouse scroll wheel.

Attached Files:

10. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Hmmm, the 98SE "Display Properties" doesn't list "Windows Classic Style" and "Windows Standard" in the drop downs, plus the "Fonts" tab is greyed out.

Another annoyance is screen flicker/blurring when scrolling with Mouse or scrollbars. :(

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Hummm ... You must have Windows 98 ???
    I have W-XP ... which I've set to look like W-98 (W - Classic)

12. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Running Windows 98SE, 32 Mb nVidia GeForce Mx100/200 Video card, DirectX 9.0c

Another thing I noticed is the Monitor has 3 settings: Text/Graphics, Graphics, Text.

One annoyance about navigating around the Monitor's Onscreen display is the buttons on the panel are black on a black background, and the symbols are also black, so I'm alway pushing the wrong button it seems :)

Been trying to avoid using the Monitor's controls when possible by using the nVidia display panel, but this may not be a good method of doing things, I suppose.... Currently using: 1024x768 32-bit color, 75 Hz Refresh. Still getting the screen blurring when scrolling up or down.

Forget where I found it--I don't think it was in "Display Properties", but not sure though--but came across a setting that was supposed to increase font size, only thing it did though was scramble the desktop icons -- a couple times there were 3 sitting on top of each other :)

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The blurring on scroll is often due to not having the correct video drivers installed for the video card, or running the card at it's limits.

Try 24 bit colour (you will hardly notce the difference but it requires a lot less memory)

If you only have 98SE then you cannot take advantage of "cleartype" that XP has for LCD monitors.

Running it as analogue also means you should make the screen auto-setup using the menu keys, it tries to map the decoded analog signal to the hardware pixels (it happens automatically under DVI).

Running standard font sizes on my 19" monitors at 1280 x 1024 I can read all fonts without useing my glasses!
    The crispness is incredibly good, lowering the resolution makes it truly horrible in comparison, I do need my glasses then even though the fonts are larger.

14. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Ok, here's what its running at now, according to the nVidia settings:

Resoltution: 1024x768
    Refresh: 60 Hz
    Color Quality: 32-bit (Highest Quality) (Note the panel only allows 8, 16, & 32-bit settings; tried 16-bit @ 60, & 75Hz., and still got the blurring when scrolling)

Image Settings: Performance (allows High Performance, Performance, Quality settings)
    Antialiasing settings: Application controlled
    Anisotropic filtering: Application controlled
    Rotation settings: Rotate 0 Degrees

AND, other settings for nVidia I came across are:

NVIDIA DirectDraw 1.0; Software version 4.0
    Hardware acceleration is set at full

Under "Advanced Direct3D Settings" it says, Maximum frames to render ahead: 3

And, the "Overlay Color Controls" list the saturation as 114%

===============
    Could one of these settings affect something that would produce the blurring? Doubt if it would make any difference in the way it would look when scrolling, but I'm using a wheel-type mouse, and its set to smooth scrolling.

======
    Got some of the IE5.5 font sizes close to where I want them, but occasionally have to change the IE5.5 Text Size setting from "Medium" to "Larger" to read some things.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice