1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Monitor>Stop Error>Reboot>No Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sean Olivers, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sean Olivers

Sean Olivers Thread Starter

I'm running W2k on a tower w/ ATI graphics/video ("rage pro turbo 2X" or some ridiculous name like that) originally built for W98 2ed. My 5-year old monitor died, I bought a slightly used Viewsonic Perfect Flat A70f benchmark/testing monitor from Best Buy. I plugged it in, and it seemed to work fine for a few days, but suddenly I got a blue screen w/Stop Error "IRCQ..." (or something)"...not less or equal to..." It seems to be driver related.
    I rebooted, and it worked fine again for awhile, but it started getting the stop error screen about every couple days. This went on for two weeks. I downloaded drivers from Viewsonic, but their driver for W2k won't install, so I used the "universal" unsigned driver.
    Recently, after the stop error, I rebooted, but my desktop wouldn't load. All I get is a blank screen with hourglass. I can access programs/files manually (typing-no clicking on icons) and once they are up I can use the mouse just fine.
    Also, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my (very old but W2k compatible) ATI drivers which came w/the computer but the installation won't "finish"-after the progress meters are done, the installation window just hangs w/ hourglass.
    Is my graphics setup too old to handle the flatscreen? Do I need Viewsonic drivers or can I use W2k's own driver? What about the ATI drivers? Are these what are called "adapter drivers"? I'm confused by the multitude of possible driver conflicts which seem to be occurring.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The 'or something' error message is very important. Can you post the complete message?

3. Sean Olivers

Sorry, it's "IRQL". Also, my computer doesn't seem to be detecting my new monitor.

4. ~Candy~

If it works and you can see things loading up in dos, then your computer is detecting the new monitor. I would suggest you boot into safe mode and perhaps lower the refresh settings by right clicking on the desktop, properties.

5. Sean Olivers

The refresh is as low as it can be set- 60 hz. When I tried to install the Viewsonic driver, I got a message saying "your monitor was not detected." it then asks me to go to Device Manager and click on "Monitors"-but there is no "Monitor" icon...????

6. ~Candy~

Hopefully others will have some ideas.

7. Sean Olivers

Here is the complete message (it just happened again)
    "***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xE385C040, 0x00000FF, 0x00000001, 0xBF99D7AC)
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    ***Address BF99D7AC base at BF99800, Date Stamp 3ecd5361-
    mrxsmb.sys

Then it gives a brief series of useless instructions like boot into safe mode and/or unplug or uninstall new hardware. (And then do what exactly???? MS's website gives instructions that I don't understand at all.)
    Also, I've noticed when I boot and get no desktop, and then reinstall one of the ATI drivers, the "please restart" message comes on, so I hit yes, and all of a sudden, there are several error messages which briefly pop up which say "cannot open such-and-such program because it failed to initialize" then they close quickly and it shuts down.
    It seems the various desktop/startup programs aren't initializing, which is why my screen remains blank.

8. brite750

brite750

9. Sean Olivers

Sorry, I'm not sure what that means, or how to do it. Could you explain, Please?

10. ~Candy~

11. brite750

brite750

Sorry, at work, got busy. That site had a lot of people with you're problem and noticed that happened to fix one of them. since I don't know what your pc specs are I don't even know if you have HT, but if you do, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.

12. Sean Olivers

Sorry, brite, but I don't know what hyperthreading is or how to figure out if I have it or not! How do I disable it?
    I'm using W2k w SP4 and...what else would you want to know? there are quite alot of other details I could provide... 256 RAM, 13 + 20 GB HD, P-III 500, do you need every last detail? :( :confused:
    It's basically an old(er) computer originally loaded w/W98 2dEd; I upgraded to W2k a year ago.
    I'm not sure what other info would be helpful...

13. brite750

brite750

Well that's not the answer for you, I think HT is only with nwer P4 boxes.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice