New Monitor, Windows Freezes (Windows XP)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cornemuse

I connected a (new to me) larger [24" to 27"] monitor to an existing, working computer. Original 24" hdmi connected, used a hdmi to to dvi adapter to connect the 27" 'new' monitor. (XP-64) Windows starts & then stops dead, black/blank screen. I had to 'force off' the power. Tried again, same-o same-o. Re-connected the original 24" monitor, powered on, now the same, Windows starts & stops dead, I cant get it to start in safe mode, dont know how.
I have removeable drive bays & trays, a different C:\ hdd (XP-32) works fine, that is, with original 24" monitor, boots right up, this computer as we speak(!)
Whats going on??
Suggestions welcome!

-corne-

The 27" is an old HP monitor, it worked before ie, dvi & vga conns.

The monitor's drivers may be too new for XP to recognise it and it crashes at bootup.

If it did something permanent and it can't change back, you may need to replace all of the drives with a single one with a clean install of windows xp, then plug the old drives back in and try to save the data

(It might have changed a permanent setting in XP and it is now still trying to adapt to the new monitor's driver and it can't change back)

plodr

Liz
I cant get it to start in safe mode, dont know how.
Normally F8 will boot into safe mode. Hold the key down then power up the computer. If that doesn't work, Brand and model of XP computer so perhaps I can find a manual.

cornemuse

Playing with it, I noticed after the monitor went into sleep mode, there was still hdd activity.
I have 4 comps (inc. this one) connected to a KVM switch. I turned on the 'middle monitor' have not used it in months, no comp even connected, just vga to kvm. Well I turned it on and the issue comp was there, 16-9 squashed to 4-3. Comp has asus video & Catalyst software. The rarely used monitor is now primary, and I cannot change/switch the two monitors so's as the original 24" is primary. "1" and the 4-3 is either "2" or disabled

This is same computer with "good, not F U'd" hdd! the s24d300 is 24" 16-9 samsung monitor, as main, '1', mon. (s2133 is the rarely used 4-3 eizo 21.33")
non-fu'd hdd.jpg

I will have to turn this one off swap hdds & screen shot other hdd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online