1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new mother board problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dezdon, Jun 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dezdon

Dezdon Thread Starter

Hello all!,
    I had to replace the mother board on or Dell Data Store. I lost video, keyboard and couldnt view the drives through the network. I did replace the video with a new one just to make sure it wasnt a video problem.
    I got a "1st mother board" from Fryes with the AMD processor. Installation was a snap. No problems. When I went to start the upgraded system. I had nothing till I moved the power wire on the pins around. The PC powers up.. but.. I got nothing. No Video, No keyboard lites, No mouse(this may be because I did USB with out drivers?)No boot what so-ever. Do I have to relocate the jumper pins for an intial bootup?.. do I maybe just have the pins and wires not plugged in right?. They should make those little pin and plugs more discribtive.. ie.. special plugs so you dont spend hours trying to read the finely ethched print on the boards. Am I maybe over my head here?
    Thanks in advance....
    Don

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Since you are getting nothing, I would first look at the power supply connections to the motherboard and make sure you have them connected tightly and correctly.

3. brianF

brianF

Reseat the processor, ram, and vid card. If that doesn't work remove everything except the processor, ram, and vid card and boot it with a start up disk in, does it boot.

Did you set the jumpers correctly for your processor multiplier and front side bus speeds.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Dezdon
    Some motherboards are shipped with the reset cmos jumper in place and won't do anything until it is removed. You should have recieved a small book with your motherboard telling you how to set the jumpers. If you don't have this post the make /model of the motherboard and we may be able to find it for you. Are you using parts from the old dell? Many of the dell parts are propritory and won't work with other systems.

5. Dezdon

Dezdon Thread Starter

Hello All,
    Thanks for the quick professional responses. I went back inside the PC. Double check Ram Setting, wire connections etc.. Basic stuff. I Ended up giving the PC to my Nieghbor to take a look at. Computers networking is his proffesion (IT guy). What you said about the jumpers and CMOS sounds like that would be the problem. I will post back what he finds and let you guys know. Thanks again for all the responces.
    Don

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice