1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Mother Board

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MajorModeler, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MajorModeler

MajorModeler Thread Starter

I want to unplug everything from the existing mother board, remove it, and slide in a new mother board, reconnect everything, boot from the Win XP CD, do a repair and take off running without having to re-install all the application programs.
    Will this work, or do I have do do a completely new install of XP and reinstall all the applications?

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

The motherboard is a major component and under XP will require a reinstall unless it's identical to the old MB.

3. 1069

4. MajorModeler

Couchmaster - that is what I was afraid I would hear.....
    1069 - thanks for the link. That was what I was going to try anyway.
    Thanks to both of you for responding.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Doing a repair-installation of windows after the new motherboard is installed along with installing all of the special chipset drivers and others off the special drivers disk that comes with the motherboard and the motherboard manual will explain this installation to you quite easily.

A full install usually is not needed. Just follow what the manufacturer of the motherboard recommends.

6. NeoBix

NeoBix

Ozrom1e is right.

Just out of curiousity though, why are you doing a repair installation with XP?

7. MajorModeler

NeoBix - because I am changing the mother board, different mfg, different cpu, different memory......
    And I do not want to go trrough the pain of setting up the software configuration again along with re-installing all the applications.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice