1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Mother Board?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sethsgirl, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sethsgirl

sethsgirl Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to get parts to fix/replace a mother board for not too much money? I was informed yesterday that my mother board was shot on my year old gateway laptop. My husband is pretty good with computers and has built our desktops that we've had but he's currently deployed so I have to wait until he returns to fix or attempt to fix my laptop. I live in CT but am more than willing to order parts online. Thank you.

2. Compiler

Compiler

Usually means you buy a new notebook. You're looking at $200~500 for the motherboard + labor to change it out... or wait.

Working on notebooks is not the same a desktops.

3. gberger

gberger

Assuming the warranty has expired...did the person who told you the MB was bad have any ideas as to what caused it to fail? You wouldn't want to replace it only to have it happen again immediately. BTW, the usual procedure is to just replace it, repairing a MB (or any component for that matter) is usually not cost-effective.
    If nothing else is wrong, your first step is to get a new motherboard. Gateway would be your first stop for a replacement. I'm not sure if they use proprietary design motherboards. If they do, that leaves them as pretty much the only choice. Otherwise if you can get them to identify the brand/model, you can shop around online for a replacement. I'd call them first and try to find out if it's a generic board or their own design.
    Check what they would charge to do the repair while you have them on the phone.

But back to the warranty for a bit...if it just expired try to lobby them a bit. One year for a motherboard is pretty pathetic. I see their standard warranty is a year on some machines. Check yours first.

Just saw the above response. In view of that kind of estimate (if Gateway says that much) I'd just pursue the warranty possibility and see where that goes. With the price of a new laptop down as low as it is, it may not pay to repair yours.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Its a Gateway notebook. All notebooks have proprietary motherboards.
    The motherboard on an R500 Thinkpad is not compatible with the T500 Thinkpad or the SL500.

If the notebook is out of warranty, mobos are expensive. Recently had a Toshiba in the shop for 2+ months - we were so mad. They even replaced its motherboard ($300) but they didn't resolve all its problems. They gave us store credit for another notebook because it took so very very long. This was Microcenter and it was on their extended warranty plan. I told them I was also MAD when I got a voice mail with a quote for the mobo price! Uh... its under warranty!

With typical notebook prices at $350~600 (basic models with 2~3GB), a replacement becomes the easiest route. The original HD can be pulled and put into an external USB case ($10~15) and used as a backup drive.

5. gberger

gberger

Interesting info about notebook motherboards. I kind of thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.
    I'm still curious how far out of warranty this notebook is. MB failure after only a year - I'd be looking for some kind of accomodation out of Gateway. Maybe they would giver her an adjustment on the repair cost. It's worth asking.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    First off it is Gateway we are talking about here, so accomodation from them very likely will be like pulling Hen's Teeth. Also, Gateway computers are not considered to be amoung the higher quality brands. Having one die after only a year is not unheard of. If it does have warranty left it is best to get that started right away.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Warranties are a legal document of support. If its a 1 year warranty - then that is all that is required of Gateway to be responsible for. Its its 3 or 1 day past the warranty, Gateway (or any company) doesn't have to do honor anything. Trust me I know.

A portable computer gets abuse that a desktop doesn't - and anything could have caused failure - not just a failure due to defect.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice