1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Mother Board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverado4, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I currently have a "soyo" P41875P mother board (two gig memory) in my computer. I need to upgrade for "speed", "memory", and now that soyo is out of business, I need a reliable supplier who is going to be around for a while for upgrades to the BIOS. What is the latest in motherboards for all the above, with 4 gig of memory? I think I have a "baby at" motherboard. I have antec "file server" which is bigger then a standard computer box. I have 5 fans in it, to keep it cool, one is on the supply, two in front, and two in the rear of the box. I need all the extras like a few extra bus 2.0, and firewire connector 1394. Dual core, I guess, Thanks I've tried everything to make this go faster. The only thing I have in the start up is my AVG free. That's what takes the longest to load at boot up. I don't know if windows 7 (windows 8 due out 2011) will make it faster. Thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's a really old board. I doubt there's much you can salvage from your current system. So are you asking for help in selecting new parts for a build?

3. Compiler

Compiler

There is nothing to salvage from this computer, other than the case... but personally, I'd say start from scratch... other than the keyboard and mouse.

This is most likely your Antec case (with or without the door - same 4-fan giant heavy monster):
    [​IMG]

We mean it, you're going to have to replace everything. Best bet is to see what you have, as is for $50 or whatever.

What is your budget? $400, $600?
    What is your goals? Basic computer use or gaming or workstation?

Todays computer cases are far better than those from 10 years ago. Lighter, quieter and cooler.

An Antec 300 case is $50 or so. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...129066&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-066-_-Product
    All Antec cases: http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1516&SubCategory=7&name=Antec-Computer-Cases

Windows7 is about $100~110.
    You can build with todays hardware, a decent computer for about $350~400 (before the OS) or buy a low-end Compaq for about $350 (dual core with 3GB RAM and Win7).

Off top of my head:
    $60 CPU (AMD X2 2.8ghz - about 6+ times faster than your current system)
    $85 Mobo Gigabyte
    $50 500GB HD
    $40 PSU (low end / $75~90 for quality)
    $80 4GB RAM
    $50 case
    =============
    $365 total for hardware

4. silverado4

Thanks for the good information.
    That is my case, exactly. I have two drives in it totaling 640 gig.
    I also have two external drives totaling 640 gig. I just can't waste those.

Why do you say AMD instead of Intel processor?

Can't I install my current drives, and just get a new operating system?

Thanks

5. Compiler

Compiler

Are your hard drives SATA? Todays motherboards do not have PATA IDE ports (or native), except for AMD which includes one. So with an AMD setup, you could continue to use an old DVD-RW drive.

I used to own that case (and sold some)... glad to gotten rid of it. :) It was sooo heavy, sooo loud. :(
    The Antec Cases I use / sell today only have 1~3 quiet fans.

Whats on the inside will have nothing to do with your two external drives.
    A single new 500GB HD is about $50 or so and is faster & quieter than HDs made a 2+ years ago. I use Seagate 500GB, slim 3.5"... about $50~60. Also, imagine the amount of time you would spend on backing up all your data on your BOOT HD, reformat it, install Windows7, copy all your data back... when all you would have to do is simply copy your data from your OLD HD to the new HD. (Use an external HD case for that if your HDs are not SATA)

External drives shouldn't be used as your primary storage. As a backup of your data, sure... or portable data. A 1000GB drive goes for about $95.

Er, whats wrong with AMD? You've not provided a budget or your needs. For a guess on my part, for about 90% of the PC users out there, a $50~75 AMD CPU is more than enough. If playing a typical modern PC game, the difference between a $60 AMD CPU and a $600 intel CPU (same RAM & 3D Video card) maybe 10~20%.

Until Core2 came out 3 years ago, even a $150 AMD 2.0Ghz CPU was performing on par with Intel's Pentium Extreme Edition 3.6Ghz which sold for $1000, ouch. Todays bottom end $60 intel CPUs are faster than ANY of those older $1000 P4 Extremes.

So its a matter of budget and what you want to do with your computer.

One of my clients, his main PC is an AMD X3 CPU with Windows 7 - not is Dell with the i7-920 and Vista. Oh, and the AMD PC has 1GB of RAM too. :)

6. silverado4

You know a lot about this, thats good.

I use my external for Pictures, Doc file, Excel saved files, etc. Not for primary.
    That's on my C drive.

I went to my daughters, and I don't know what she has, but her response is very fast. Mine of course is slower, but good.

I would like to update everything in my case, but I don't know where to start. I only use it for e-mail, office suite, street atlas, several small programs like that.

If you were to buy a unit complete with windows 7, what would you suggest to buy, I need speed on my graphics, I do a lot of DVD / Slideshows with a lot of pictures / movies from my camcorder.

Thanks

7. silverado4

I only built one unit, but would rather buy in intact already.

8. silverado4

I can spend around $1000,
    What do you think I could get?
    Do you think I could get it already configured to my needs?

9. silverado4

I've asked everyone else, maybe you can tell me why my drivers take so long to load on boot up. The only thing in my start-up is AVG Free. I think the files in there are taking too long to load. The two files in my process from AVG are AVGRSX.EXE and AVGCGSVX.EXE. I have other processes also, but these seem to take the longest to load.
    Thanks
    I really need a faster boot up. Once the all my boot up files are loaded, my system runs faster.

10. Compiler

Compiler

If all your personal data is only on that external drive, then its your ONLY drive. Then what would you do when that drive suddenly dies? Get a new PC, copy the files onto the new computer and use the external as a backup.

It will always be slower because its older.

Watch movies from your camcorder (digital) or encode (covert from analog to digital)?

You don't need much computer power. There is nothing to update in your case. Replace the entire unit. Buying name-brand means getting quite a bit of junk, so uninstall anything you don't really need (Wild Tangent, generic HP printer drivers, Yahoo bars, Trial ware). Until Windows7 processes on boot up is under 40.

For $430, this is a good deal with 18" monitor: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+...?id=pcmprd125300050005&skuId=9999125300050005

$600 - HP, quad core, 6GB RAM, 1TB drive, better looking case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...ssor/9685029.p?id=1218146395806&skuId=9685029

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice