New motherboard and cpu, pc turns on but no display.

Fragmastre

As the title says. Here's the situation. A few weeks ago, I moved my pc while it was on and it just turned off and wouldn't come back on. So naturally I figured power supply, got a new one, nope. So next got a new mobo, now it turned on but no post. Figured cpu went with mobo so just got new mobo and cpu. Now powers on and stays powered on but I get no display. I have tried taking out all my peripherals and starting the system with nothing but the bare bones, mobo, cpu, psu, 1 stick of ram and monitor plugged in, nothing. I've tried resetting the bios by taking the cmos battery out for 5 min and putting back in, still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

What I'd do is take it back down to bare bones out on a table, (not in the case). Nothing but:

o motherboard (on a non-conductive surface),
o CPU (w/heatsink)
o RAM
o PSU
o video
o keyboard and mouse.

Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try a different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

If it's bootable now, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and exercise it some, web, games, whatever, and leave it running overnight.

If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond this minimum though, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

crjdriver

Post all of the exact specs on the parts you installed ie exact motherboard, exact processor, exact pw supply, etc.

Fragmastre

Corsair rm 850x power psu, asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 wifi axle, ryzen 9 3900x. Using a rtx 2080 for gpu, and gskill f4-2400c15D-16gis ram 2x8gb 16gb. Also have several ssd's and an hdd but none are plugged while this issue is happening. Also to first reply, just did as you said, pc is out of case bare bones, started it by jumping the power switch pins. No change. Only thing I haven't replaced is ram, going to do that next. And if still same issue I guess it goes to a repair store cause I'm lost

Fragmastre

Corsair rm 850x power psu, asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 wifi axle, ryzen 9 3900x. Using a rtx 2080 for gpu, and gskill f4-2400c15D-16gis ram 2x8gb 16gb. Also have several ssd's and an hdd but none are plugged while this issue is happening. Also to first reply, just did as you said, pc is out of case bare bones, started it by jumping the power switch pins. No change. Only thing I haven't replaced is ram, going to do that next. And if still same issue I guess it goes to a repair store cause I'm lost
Let you know in a week when it gets here lol

crjdriver

Looks like the 3900X is supported from the release bios so no problem in that regard.
Nice selection of parts.
If I understand your post, you are still using the ram that was in the system that shutdown? That may be the issue; the ram could have been damaged when the system shutdown due to moving.

FWIW I have done a lot of ryzen builds and used corsair vengeance ram in all of them; worked flawlessly.

One thing I have noticed with asrock boards, they can be a little different in how to clear cmos. I have run into this issue [problem clearing cmos] once or twice. In order to fully clear cmos, remove the pw cord then press the ON button 2~3 times. Now remove the cmos batter. After the battery is out, short the clear cmos pins for at least 10 seconds. Replace battery and pw cord; attempt to pw ON.

Fragmastre

Will try that and let you know but I doubt that's the issue considering it's a brand new mobo and cpu. I'm willing to bet it's the ram. My initial mobo def died but I guess it took the ram with it.

crjdriver

That could well be. When I found out about the clearing procedure, I was VERY skeptical. What happened was that the system would boot however when in the bios, no keyboard or mouse input. After doing some research, I found this method AND I did not think it would work. After doing it, mouse and keyboard worked fine in the bios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts