new motherboard and CPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

prpldude

I just purchased a PX865PE7/PRO Motherboard an Intel Pentium 4 2.66 LGA775 processor 506+ and 2 PNY 512 PC3200 memory sticks (Part# D512MPC320PT).

when I tried to boot up the system there is power to the motherboard but the IDE drives do not power up when the IDE cables are connected. The CPU fan turns on so I know there is power.

If I unplug the IDE cables (ALL OF THEM) then the drives power up.

Do you have any suggestions on why the drives are not powering up?

Thanks,
Marc

Rukee

Banned
Does the computer post at all?? Do you see the splash screen or can get into the BIOS??
Does the hard drives show up in the BIOS?? You may have to try 1 drive at a time to see which is failing or having the troubles.

prpldude

No it does not post at all. No splash screen and can not get into the bios. I have tried all the drives seperately, and each IDE connector with different cables, also have removed the ram and tried each one by itself.

The drives came out of a computer which was working and being use just minutes before the new install. The ram is working in another computer just fine.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Marc

Rukee

Banned
remove all the IDE cables and drives from the motherboard, try just the motherboard, CPU w/heatsink and fan, and the memory and power supply. The computer obviously won`t boot to Windows, but it should post and show a splash screen. If it doesn`t, then there is a problem with one of the pieces of equipment you have there.

prpldude

ok tried just mobo, cpu/fan, PSU, and memory. Also tried w/o mem.

still no splash screen. but mobo powers up.

I think this is part of symptom that the monitor acts like it's not hooked up. says "check your cable and system. monitor is working".

Rukee

Banned
ermm... I forgot to say to have the video card in there. :eek:
Of course you won`t see anything if you have no graphics connected.
Sorry bout that. :eek:

prpldude

LOL.. yep it was in... Although, at this point I think I should try hypnosis on it LOL

Rukee

Banned
then if it won`t post, you have a problem with one of the basic pieces, do you have another power supply? Or memory sticks you can try?? Another video card?? etc.

prpldude

I have a couple of other PS's and mem. nothing seemed to make a diff. and the power supply powers up another unit (alot less powerful) but it's a 300w PS. I put the memory in this machine I am using and it seemed to work great. I don't have another unit to try the CPU with or the mobo. I'm guessing it's the mobo I did buy it referb. from newegg.com.

maybe it's not fixed yet.

Thanks again for all your help,
Marc

Rukee

Banned
check on www.pricewatch.com for motherboard/CPU/memory combos, you can get some realy good deals on like socket a combos.
I would not buy a refurbished motherboard, I did, a DFI NF4, but only right after they came out and alot of people had problems flashing the BIOS for the dual core CPUs and the board would not post after a failed flash, so figuring that`s what happened and they replaced the BIOS chip, I bought one and have had no issues with it. But if I didn`t know the problems they had and the fix for it, I prolly would not have gotten a refurbished unit.

prpldude

I'm going to see how well newegg will work with me. and if it's too much of a hassle I will get a new MOBO. The processor and memory are brand new.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online