1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New motherboard and now windows is acting screwy

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Trombean, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in.

I just recently got a new MSI motherboard and ever since then, windows has been acting very wacky.

Most notably, it runs extremely slow, it tells me windows is not validated, windows explorer crashes every now and then and I can't load anything from a USB drive or a CD. So therefor I can't even use the driver cd that the motherboard came with. And when I try installing them from the website, I get a "fatal error".

My cousin informed me that it's wise to reinstall windows since the motherboard is new, but I can't even get it to boot from the windows cd. When I'm at the boot screen, I select the option for it to boot from the DVD drive, but it just simply boots the hard drive like it usually would.

Could anyone offer me some suggestions please?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8135 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580, 1536 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1430696 MB, Free - 969633 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, Z87-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, enabled

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Q. Was the version of Windows with your original Motherboard a pre-installed OEM version or did you purchase Windows separately and install it yourself..?

With the release of W8 (OEM version), Microsoft changed the procedure from having a Product Key on a sticker to imbedding the Product Key in the BIOS. It must be remembered that the OEM installed versions of Windows are "locked" to the Motherboard and therefore also to the BIOS. In practice the Motherboard and the OEM pre-installed Windows form a unit. OEM pre-installed versions of Windows is the most common version in the consumer market. Obviously this does not apply if you purchase Windows separately from your local computer shop - but very few consumers acquire Windows that way.

T.

3. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

Actually, the original motherboard had windows 7 installed on it. I later purchased windows 8 and installed it on the old motherboard.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Q1. And W8 on the old MB worked OK..?

Q2. Did you have a problem with the old MB or did you just want to upgrade..?

Q3. You have a Product Key for W8..?

T.

5. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

1. Yep, it worked like a charm. Cant think of any problems.

2. Yes the old motherboard went bad. Tried to install a heat sink on it and accidentally bents some pins on the processor and it would no longer boot after that... woops :(

3. Yes I have a product key

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Q1. Is it "possible", "likely", "unlikely", "probable"..... that some other component was damaged when the MB went bad..?

Q2. When you installed the new MB did you wear a static wrist strap..?

Q3. Did you purchase new RAM for the new MB..?

Q4. Would you be able to remove the HDD from the PC, connect it via a USB cable to another PC and then format the disk..?

If your answers are Q1 = No..... and then Yes for Q2, Q3 and Q4, then I suggest that you reformat the HDD on another machine and start again. If you do this then before you start, after you have removed the HDD, strap on a static wrist strap and carefully check all the internal connections on the PC before you refit the reformatted HDD.

T.

7. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

1. It's probable because the power supply also (mysteriously) went bad and I had to have it replaced

2. I wasn't the one to install it. This time I got my cousin who has a degree in computer science to install it for me because I was too nervous after ruining the previous motherboard. I highly doubt he made any mistakes.

3. I didn't buy any new RAM with the mb

4. I could, but I would really like that to be a last resort if I can't find another solution

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

1. Could this be a "chicken-and-egg"..? Which came first, the Power Supply going bad or the Motherboard going bad..? Is it not possible that the PS going bad caused the problem with the MB..?

2. I respect your cousin's degree in computer science. But that does not stop you asking the question - "Did you wear a static wrist strap when you changed the MB".

3. If the PS went bad. And the MB went bad. Does it not seem reasonable to presume that the RAM might be feeling just a little unwell..? RAM is so inexpensive, compared to MB's and PS's that it seems a false economy not to change it.

4. I understand your reluctance. But, I can only advise you based on 20 years of experience. And in my experience, when a computer starts giving all sorts of diverse and apparently unrelated problems, then the best course of action is to fix the OS.

T.

9. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

I had just made a topic here recently asking for help with windows 8. After replacing the motherboard, windows 8 was acting very screwy and unstable. A poster recomended that I format my hard drive and reinstall windows, and so I did.

And it was working great for a few days. I was working on getting the pc up to date with windows updates and drivers and what not, and then I went ahead and downloaded windows 8.1 and that's when everything went to hell.

Immediately after installing it, the computer informed me that "something went wrong" and it had to restart. So I restarted it only to get the same message.

I read on the Internet to try putting in the windows cd and repair it. But when I click on the refresh option, I get this error: "the drive in which windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

And this is where I'm stumped. I've been searching for hours on the Internet for a solution to this problem and nothing seems to work. If anyone has a solution, I would appreciate it tremendously. Thank you

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you create a windows 8 recovery USB drive at all ?

I have also merged your two threads into one - so we keep the issue all together

how did you

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

Trombean, perhaps you are confusing things just a little.

A stable, healthy system is a much better option in the long-term than a system that is flaky at best. If that means that you have to reinstall the OS, once, twice or even three times, then so be it.

Upgrading from W8 to W8.1 is usually a painless process - but not always. I have been lucky in that all the upgrades that I have done have gone very smoothly. But I realise that it isn't always that smooth a process.

T.

12. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

No I used the original windows 8 install disk

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    then you will need to restore back to windows 8 and try to update to 8.1 again

14. Trombean

Trombean Thread Starter

I tried to reinstall with the start up disk and it gives me this message:

"The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade."

So is it telling me to start the installation while the computer is already in windows? Because I can't exactly do that.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is this a full install disk - a recovery disk - or an upgrade disk?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice