New Motherboard/CPU Won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maineac60

I just installed a new motherboard and cpu in a friends computer. When I power it up it goes through all of the early detection screens and then when it goes to the next phase it stalls... Could this be a sign of a bad hard drive? Or have I missed something?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Motheboard and CPU changes often require a reformat. If your friends computer is a Gateway or a Dell the system restore disks tend not to work when the hardware configuration has changed in which case you would need a full version of a windows OS to run it.

maineac60

If I am not mistaken, the hard drive has Win XP on it..I am going to try another hard drive and see what happens.

crjdriver

You cannot change a mb on an nt based os like xp or win2k and expect to boot. There is a procedure to follow to do this, however it starts with the old board still in the system. Since this is not the case, the following may or may not work.

1 Enter the bios and set the CD as the first boot device. Save settings and restart with your xp cd in the drive. Note you must have a full version of XP. Not a recovery cd that comes with pre-installed systems.

2 From the first menu, choose install NOT repair.

3 The next menu will show any previous xp install and give you the option to repair it. Let it do so.

4 Once you are finished, you will need to install chipset / mb drivers, run windows update and reinstall ALL critical updates. I reinstall the video driver as well.

My problem seems similar to this one. I switched out a new mobo for my old one and the computer will not boot. Could you tell me the procedure for fixing this? I still have my old mobo as well if that helps.

See crjdfriver's post above.

I'm new to these forums, but I am an MCSA. I've already seen a lot of posts like this one, where people are expecting to be able to swap out motherboards.

Listen: When changing motherboards, YOU MUST DO A FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS.

When Windows is installed, a large part of what happens is configuring interfaces with the hardware that exists in the computer. When you swap a motherboard - unless it's the exact same brand and model - the Windows OS on the hard drive is suddenly trying to interface with different hardware. Big problem.

pugmug

Banned
I agree a fresh OS install is best but not a must.I am new here and this site will not let me post the link,which I understand.I wish I could help but not sure how to get you the link as I only email and do not IM at all.I do not just give out email address for the same reason this site will not let new people post links.Sorry I can not help you more.

maineac60

as it turned out it was the Hard Drive...when I installed a new hard drive it booted and then I installed Win XP...All is well now.
Thanks Guys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online