1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Motherboard Exisiting Drive...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RayW, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

I am having problems getting my XP Home O.S. to boot on new motherboard. I have run Windows startup disk and repair but still nothing. The drive is being detected in BIOS and hangs at start up. I am trying to not lose the data... Do I need to add partition or Flash Bios or something? Replace old BIOS with new BIOS via slave drive on another computer? Thanks RayW

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What kind of repair did you run? In order for the new hardware to be detected and the correct drivers for the new board to be installed, you will need to run XP setup and reinstall it as a repair over your present installation.

3. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

I ran the windows startup installation disk repair...not the repair from recovery console. It finishes the install and upon reboot it hangs again right before the Windows logo screen would have come on.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just hangs with no messages? It may take 10 minutes or more for the registry configuration to finish, so you may just have to wait a while longer.

You probably already tried, but Safe Mode?

5. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

After reboot should i leave the startup cd in the drive or pull it out after initial install? Would it take longer than two hours? Otherwise no message just hangs.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You only need to pull it out if your machine is set to boot first from CD so that setup just keeps restarting. If it doesn't, it makes no difference.

No, 2 hours is more than enough time for setup to have tied up all the loose ends. There is certainly something wrong.

How about Safe Mode? Have any luck booting into it?

Try tapping F8 on boot to get boot options. Try some of them, especially VGA mode, if it is available to you.

Try removing/disconnecting absolutely every piece of hardware that you can that is not needed for the boot process--printers, any other external devices, extra CD-ROM's or hard drives, graphics card (if you have 2 or one card and also onboard video).

7. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

No luck on safe mode. I hit f8 and it just gives me the boot menu. I don't have any extra devices attached but don't klnow how to disconnect on board video. Also after the bios post I get a quick network bootstrap asking order of boot, I tell it to use order in bios but this screen keeps appearing after bios post. Boot menu is just hard drive, cd rom and bbs-0. Tried repair again and still just hangs on blank screen .

8. natcom

natcom

if you have any USB devices unplug then also desable any extra HD or cdrom for now and check for the problem

9. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Same problem occurs when i only have monitor and hd and ram connected, I get a boot failure if nothing is connected

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

is the boot disk different than the windows startup cd?

12. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Okay...put drive into good computer and immediately starts reboot,reboot reboot..but I can enter F8 to winows safe mode,vga,debug etc. what is the best plan to correct issue... Load bios disk to hard drive or will this mess up the bios on good computer? (if I can enter into windows?)

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't fool with the BIOS. First thing I'd try is removing one or more of the major drivers---like graphics, which is often a problem. Let XP load a default driver until you can get in normally and install a recent driver from the manufacturer.

I'd leave any BIOS plans aside. This is probably a software issue and fooling with the BIOS may make things worse.

This is quite likely a driver problem. You can uninstall drivers in Device Manager until you're able to boot and then reinstall them one at a time as needed.

14. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Couldn't enter windows through f8, it just rebooted after it tried.. Then tried another xp install disk and it gave a session3_initialization_failed.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice