1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New motherboard is a no go

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Posokhov, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Posokhov

Posokhov Thread Starter

Hello, this is my first day on these forums. I came here after searching for forums and/or chat rooms that could help me with this issue. I'm on my laptop at the moment. First things first, I'll cover the basic hardware:

Mobo -- Chaintech 7NIL1
    Video Card -- GeForce 4 Ti 4600
    RAM -- 512MB PC3200 Kingston

Today, I replaced the mobo in my computer. After I hooked up everything, I knew I'd get those little cables wrong and have to play around with them. After discovering their proper spots, I'm still not able to solve the issue. So far, the IDE Activity LED Connector, Power Button Connector, System Reset Switch Connector, and Speaker Connector are connected in the proper spots. I'm not sure if the IDE Activity LED Connector is facing the correct direction, but here comes the issue:

I press the power button my computer, the CPU Fan and Video Card fan both kick on, then the entire machine shuts off. I thought maybe I needed to put a fan back on my RAM, but that didn't help. The CPU Fan is hooked into the connector specified in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Did you use a thermal paste or tape (I reccommend paste) on the cpu? It sounds like your CPU overheats and shuts off.

3. Posokhov

Posokhov Thread Starter

I had some on there before switching, but I had put the CPU face down on a static bag, so some of it may have wiped off. I'll check.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Whenever you pull a CPU you should always apply new paste. It is probably getting hot and shutting down to keep from frying.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

One other possibility is the board is grounding out somewhere on the case. I think you will end up pulling the board to apply paste. If you do, see if you can get a POST outside the case sitting on the box the board came in.

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Skivvy is right

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice