1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New motherboard not detecting C drive or Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zactu, Oct 23, 2019.

1. zactu

zactu Thread Starter

Hello - Replaced dead motherboard with new (used) one on a Dell XPS 2720, Windows 8.

Powers up now, but isn't loading Windows or detecting C drive where all the files are.

Tried to run System Restore but it won't find OS.

Tried to run Re-image but it "cannot find file specified 0x80070002".

Any suggestions on what to do or try next would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I assume this was an exact replacement?

Boot into the BIOS. Is the drive detected by the BIOS?

If not, restore the motherboard back to factory default, save/exit/reboot, and test again. You may also want to go into the BIOS and ensure the (I assume SATA) ports are enabled.

My first thought is that something (at least the HDD in this instance) wasn't reinstalled/connected properly. So you may need to pull it back apart and investigate.

Also, most Dells have diagnostics to aid in troubleshooting (even if it's just a set of LED's). The troubleshooting info will indicate exactly what is wrong.

Lastly, while not the fault here, the Windows license of OEM computers is actually tied to the motherboard. You may be able to reactivate your current lic with the new motherboard, but I don't know the process. Likely just a call on the automated number. Just a heads up for when you get it working and then receive the "reactivate Windows" prompt.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice